UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Locating an XPS project timing error?

Jump to solution

I'm working on a pretty complex XPS project with a lot of custom peripherals, and the end of the design phase is in sight! Unfortunately, a couple of recent additions have caused my design to report a timing error on one net (as reported by the timing analyzer when I do a hardware build).

The build process tells me which constraint is violated but not which net violates it! How can I track this down? :(

Thanks,

Nick

Message Edited by nrclark on 04-09-2009 06:33 PM
Message Edited by nrclark on 04-09-2009 06:34 PM
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Locating an XPS project timing error?

Jump to solution

Nick,

Check the static timing analysis report file  -  the [designname].twr file (e.g. implementation\system.twr) for more details.

bt

Message Edited by timpe on 04-10-2009 12:44 PM
4 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Nick,

Check the static timing analysis report file  -  the [designname].twr file (e.g. implementation\system.twr) for more details.

bt

Message Edited by timpe on 04-10-2009 12:44 PM
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Whoah, that file contains pretty much all I need to know!

I run about a quarter of my design off of a 10MHz GPS-synched timing clock, which I first run through a high-speed averaging filter to reject line noise the clock signal picks up as it arrives at the chassis where my board lives.

Unfortunately, the timing analyzer (and I would assume by extension the mapper and PAR) treats the signal like it's still in the high-speed clock domain. How can I manually add a constraint to this particular net to tell the tools that it's a low-speed clock?

I've attached the relevant portion of my timing report below.

================================================================================
Timing constraint: TS_clock_manager_100MHz_clock_manager_100MHz_DCM0_CLK_OUT_0_
= PERIOD TIMEGRP        
"clock_manager_100MHz_clock_manager_100MHz_DCM0_CLK_OUT_0_"        
TS_CLK_100MHZ_pin HIGH 50%;

167745 paths analyzed, 21870 endpoints analyzed, 1 failing endpoint
 1 timing error detected. (1 setup error, 0 hold errors)
 Minimum period is  10.348ns.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Slack:                  -0.174ns (requirement - (data path - clock path skew + uncertainty))
  Source:               timing_clock_filters_0/timing_clock_filters_0/my10mhzFilter/CLK_OUT1 (FF)
  Destination:          chassis_controller_irig_clock_0/chassis_controller_irig_clock_0/USER_LOGIC_I/myFilter/buffer_10MHz_0 (FF)
  Requirement:          5.000ns
  Data Path Delay:      5.114ns (Levels of Logic = 1)
  Clock Path Skew:      0.000ns
  Source Clock:         SRAM_CLOCK_pin_OBUF rising at 0.000ns
  Destination Clock:    SRAM_CLOCK_pin_OBUF falling at 5.000ns
  Clock Uncertainty:    0.060ns

Clock Uncertainty:          0.060ns  ((TSJ^2 + TIJ^2)^1/2 + DJ) / 2 + PE
    Total System Jitter (TSJ):  0.000ns
    Total Input Jitter (TIJ):   0.000ns
    Discrete Jitter (DJ):       0.120ns
    Phase Error (PE):           0.000ns

Maximum Data Path: timing_clock_filters_0/timing_clock_filters_0/my10mhzFilter/CLK_OUT1 to chassis_controller_irig_clock_0/chassis_controller_irig_clock_0/USER_LOGIC_I/myFilter/buffer_10MHz_0
    Location             Delay type         Delay(ns)  Physical Resource
                                                       Logical Resource(s)
    -------------------------------------------------  -------------------
    SLICE_X50Y114.YQ     Tcko                  0.360   timing_clock_filters_0/timing_clock_filters_0/my10mhzFilter/CLK_OUT1
                                                       timing_clock_filters_0/timing_clock_filters_0/my10mhzFilter/CLK_OUT1
    BUFGCTRL_X0Y3.I0     net (fanout=1)        0.621   timing_clock_filters_0/timing_clock_filters_0/my10mhzFilter/CLK_OUT1
    BUFGCTRL_X0Y3.O      Tbgcko_O              0.900   timing_clock_filters_0/timing_clock_filters_0/my10mhzFilter/CLK_OUT_BUFG
                                                       timing_clock_filters_0/timing_clock_filters_0/my10mhzFilter/CLK_OUT_BUFG
    SLICE_X51Y114.BX     net (fanout=315)      2.902   CLK_10MHZ
    SLICE_X51Y114.CLK    Tdick                 0.331   chassis_controller_irig_clock_0/chassis_controller_irig_clock_0/USER_LOGIC_I/myFilter/buffer_10MHz<0>
                                                       chassis_controller_irig_clock_0/chassis_controller_irig_clock_0/USER_LOGIC_I/myFilter/buffer_10MHz_0
    -------------------------------------------------  ---------------------------
    Total                                      5.114ns (1.591ns logic, 3.523ns route)
                                                       (31.1% logic, 68.9% route)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

You can add a multi-cycle path for elements that don't actually change every period.

More details on this and other timing constraints are available here:

http://www.xilinx.com/itp/xilinx10/books/docs/timing_constraints_ug/timing_constraints_ug.pdf (Xilinx Timing Constraints User Guide)

Cheers,

bt

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution
Thanks, I'll read up on this.
0 Kudos