cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
buddha1987
Voyager
Voyager

What does "add clock" mean in Edit Timing Constraints?

Jump to solution

In Vivado,  Edit Timing Constraints, create clock option,  there is an option "add clock", you can tick it or not. What does it mean if I tick it? (see attachment)

It confused me since I firstly think this means I want to add the clock into my target file, however that can be done through clicking  

"Apply".

Thanks very much.

1.png
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
graces

The -add is typically used when you attempt to define a different clock period requirement on the same object.

So let's take a slightly different example.

create_clock -period 10.000 -name system_clk_1 -waveform {0.000 5.000} [get_nets o_clk_g]
create_clock -period 5.000 -name system_clk_2 -waveform {0.000 2.500} -add [get_nets o_clk_g]

Without -add, the second constraint will override the first one, so that the period requirement of o_clk_g is 5 ns.

With add, clock name "system_clk_1" and "system_clk_2" coexist, and both requirement will be analyzed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
If starting with Versal take a look at our Versal Design Process Hub and our Versal Blogs.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
graces

You can type "create_clock -help" in Tcl console to see what "-add" option means.

-add - (Optional) Define multiple clocks on the same source for
  simultaneous analysis with different clock waveforms. Use -name to specify
  the new clock to add. If you do not specify this option, the create_clock
  command will automatically assign a name and will overwrite any existing
  clock of the same name.

If starting with Versal take a look at our Versal Design Process Hub and our Versal Blogs.
0 Kudos
buddha1987
Voyager
Voyager

Thanks, I checked it and try it in edit timing constraint. But I don't understand the description very well (maybe my English is bad). Let us take an example to help me to understand:

create_clock -period 5.000 -name system_clk_1 -waveform {0.000 2.500} [get_nets o_clk_g]
create_clock -period 5.000 -name system_clk_2 -waveform {0.000 2.500} -add [get_nets o_clk_g]

Does this mean I create two clocks in XDC "system_clk_1" and "system_clk_2" with the same source "o_clk_g"? Whay will happen if withouth the "-add" ?

Thanks very much.

0 Kudos
graces

The -add is typically used when you attempt to define a different clock period requirement on the same object.

So let's take a slightly different example.

create_clock -period 10.000 -name system_clk_1 -waveform {0.000 5.000} [get_nets o_clk_g]

Without -add, the second constraint will override the first one, so that the period requirement of o_clk_g is 5 ns.

With add, clock name "system_clk_1" and "system_clk_2" coexist, and both requirement will be analyzed.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
buddha1987
Voyager
Voyager
Now I got it, thanks very much.
0 Kudos