cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
schrepta
Observer
Observer

how to constrain PLL outputs when frequency is a multiple of input and has phase delay

Jump to solution

Hi, I'm using vivado 2013.3, I have a PLL with clkin = 100MHz, clkout0 = 40 MHz, clkout1 = 20 MHz phase delayed 270 degrees.  I have a create clock for the 100 MHz input (at the fpga port pin).  I need to use create_generated_clock for the two outputs. 

For the clkout0, I have:

create_generated_clock -name clock40MHz -source [get_pins U0_adc_pll/plle2_adv_inst/CLKIN1] -multiply_by 8 -divide_by 20 [get_pins U0_adc_pll/plle2_adv_inst/CLKOUT0]. This is ok.

How do I constrain the clkout1?  create_generated_clock does not allow the -multiply_by and -edges parameters to be used together. How do I specify the different freq and phase shift? Or is there another approach or constraint type?

I've looked at the ug903-vivado-using-constraints documentation, and the user forums, did not find a solution.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
muzaffer
Teacher
Teacher
Actually you don't have to do anything. The timer knows how the PLL is configured and propagates the clocks properly. You only need to constrain the input clock.

- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
schrepta
Observer
Observer

How about, using the clkout0 output as the reference, and using -edges and -edge_shift as follows? 

create_generated_clock -name clock20MHzp270 -source [get_pins U0_adc_pll/plle2_adv_inst/CLKOUT0]  -edges {1 3 5} -edge_shift {37.5 37.5 37.5} [get_pins U0_adc_pll/plle2_adv_inst/CLKOUT1]

comments?

0 Kudos
muzaffer
Teacher
Teacher
Actually you don't have to do anything. The timer knows how the PLL is configured and propagates the clocks properly. You only need to constrain the input clock.

- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
muzaffer
Teacher
Teacher
not that you need it but for 20 MHz from 100 MHz your edges should be {1 6 11}; each step is 5ns so the total period is 5*(11-1) = 50 ns.
0 Kudos
schrepta
Observer
Observer

Thank you.

0 Kudos