UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor pzahedi
Visitor

"get_cells -include_replicated_objects" doesn't return any object

I am trying to compile a Vivado project based on a DSP SysGen IP. I include the constraints file generated by SysGen tools in my project along with IP source files. project compile fails due to lots of timing errors. the constraint file is basically a set of multicycle paths commands but it looks like it doesn't  cover all the multicycle paths. I had this idea that some paths cannot be found in the search pattern because of replicated cells so I tried to change the original set_multicycle_path commands by replacing -of arguments with -include_replicated_objects as below:

original line:

set_multicycle_path -from [get_cells -of [filter [all_fanout -flat -endpoints [get_pins $rateCexMyModel2/Q]] IS_ENABLE]] -to [get_cells -of [filter [all_fanout -flat -endpoints [get_pins $rateCexMyModel4/Q]] IS_ENABLE]] -setup 2

changed to:

set_multicycle_path -from [get_cells -include_replicated_objects [filter [all_fanout -flat -endpoints [get_pins $rateCexMyModel2/Q]] IS_ENABLE]] -to [get_cells -include_replicated_objects [filter [all_fanout -flat -endpoints [get_pins $rateCexMyModel4/Q]] IS_ENABLE]] -setup 2

I just replaced -of with -include_replicated_objects in -from and -to search patterns. the way it explained in ug835 it seems that -include_replicated_objects returns a superset of objects that include both original and replicated ones, Is that correct? if yes, can anybody explain what is wrong with this constraint command?

Any idea how I can add replicated cells to my set_multicycle_path constrants?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Voyager
Voyager

Re: "get_cells -include_replicated_objects" doesn't return any object

Hey @pzahedi,

As explained in UG835, the -include_replicated_objects option requires a pattern search.

Unfortunately this cannot be combined with -of_objects in the same command, so your command just interprets the given objects as patterns which do not match anything.

Hope this clarifies,

Herbert

-------------- Yes, I do this for fun!
0 Kudos
Visitor pzahedi
Visitor

Doesn't the filter clause define a search pattern? 

0 Kudos
Guide avrumw
Guide

So in this case, what you are trying to do doesn't make sense.

The way this multicycle path (MCP ) is constructed is based on the "all_fanout" command from a given pin. This means that the -from/-to contains any "cell that has an 'enable pin' that can be combinatorially reached from a given pin"

Using this mechanism, any replication that occurs would be covered by this constraint - a replicated FF would also be reachable from the same pin.

BUT, I worry (a lot) about this kind of constraint. The IS_ENABLE property of a pin is set on the CE of any flip-flop. However there are many optimizations that can be done to change the functional implementation of a "chip-enable" to one that doesn't actually use the CE pin. For example, if you use a MUX in front of a flip-flop that feeds back the output of the FF, this is the equivalent of a "chip-enable" functionality. However, in this case, the "enable signal" propagates to the D pin of the flip-flop (which doesn't have the IS_ENABLE property set) rather than the CE pin (which does).

So, I am not convinced that this constraint is "safe".

Avrum

0 Kudos
Visitor pzahedi
Visitor

Thank you very much Avrum.

I guess I have a better understanding of what is wrong with the original MCP now. is there any way to include other functional implementations of chip-enable in this constraint?

0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Hey @pzahedi,

Doesn't the filter clause define a search pattern?

No, the [filter ... ] command filters a list by a certain condition, but it will still return the objects you got from [all_fanout ...] which are perfect for -of_objects but are not a pattern.

Hope this clarifies,

Herbert

-------------- Yes, I do this for fun!
0 Kudos
Visitor pzahedi
Visitor

Thank you very much Herbert. 

0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager