Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

timing constraint warning

Jump to solution

Hello all,

I'm recieving the following warning 

[Constraints 18-619] A clock with name 'CLK_50M' already exists, overwriting the previous clock with the same name. 

My XDC contains the following line:

"create_clock -period 20.000 -name CLK_50M [get_ports CLK_50M]"

My question is why? I cannot find any clock with the same name.

The main_pll.xdc contains the following line:

create_clock -period 20.0 [get_ports clk_in1]

is this the source of the problem and another related question, is there a need to define a clock constraint if one is already defined by the pll.xdc?

Thanks 

Jake

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: timing constraint warning

Jump to solution

Hi @jkunin

If the clock constraint already exists in IP non-ooc XDC then there is no need to write the constraint in top level xdc.

Thanks,
Deepika.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted

Jump to solution

@jkunin.

Check the following Answer Record:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/59799.html

--Syed

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

Did you check our new quick reference timing closure guide (UG1292)?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Jump to solution
Thanks!

How bout my second question. Does a clock constraint even need to be defined if it's already defined in the pll.xdc?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @jkunin

If the clock constraint already exists in IP non-ooc XDC then there is no need to write the constraint in top level xdc.

Thanks,
Deepika.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)

View solution in original post