UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

JTAG configuration

Accepted Solution Solved
Highlighted
Observer dps
Observer
Accepted Solution

JTAG configuration

Hi,

I'm working on a hardware design using a Zynq XC7Z007S-1CLG400.  I want the factory to be able to program the QSPI flash via JTAG or some other serial interface (if that's possible) and I also want our FPGA and ARM developers to be able to debug with JTAG.  The board will boot from QSPI when in the field.  However, Our board space is VERY limited and I don't have much room for a jumper to select between JTAG boot and QSPI boot.  Is it possible to use the JTAG debugger if the boot mode is set to QSPI or must it be set to JTAG?

Thanks,

Dan

Accepted Solutions

Re: JTAG configuration

@dps Well, For FPGAs what @austin said is correct and would work all the time but I am little skeptical about Zynq.

In theory, it should also work but I have had seen issues on few customer boards. for QSPI programming Xilinx recommends to set the mode pins to JTAG and program in-order to program successfully all the time. Please note, this might not be the case all the time but when there is a failure in qspi programming you might want to set the mode pins to JTAG and give it a try (Especially for Zynq)

I would recommend you to have mode select switches on the board to select the QSPI or JTAG boot in case you hit this issue.

Attached is a screenshot of a log from the tool when there was a failure to program qspi. We recently added this warning to let know users.

-Pratham

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

forum.JPG

All Replies

JTAG operates regardless of mode selection, so you may boot from QSPI, but at any time you may use JTAG, unless you specifically disable JTAG, or disable the PCAP interface. See the configuration users guide.
Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose

@dps Well, For FPGAs what @austin said is correct and would work all the time but I am little skeptical about Zynq.

In theory, it should also work but I have had seen issues on few customer boards. for QSPI programming Xilinx recommends to set the mode pins to JTAG and program in-order to program successfully all the time. Please note, this might not be the case all the time but when there is a failure in qspi programming you might want to set the mode pins to JTAG and give it a try (Especially for Zynq)

I would recommend you to have mode select switches on the board to select the QSPI or JTAG boot in case you hit this issue.

Attached is a screenshot of a log from the tool when there was a failure to program qspi. We recently added this warning to let know users.

-Pratham

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
forum.JPG
Observer dps
Observer

This kind of information will save me from having to spin the board again.  Many thanks!

-Dan