UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer niu_zun
Observer

question about using ODDR to forward a clock as an output in XCVU13P

Hello.I want to use ODDR to forward a clock as an output, which will drive another XCVU13P. I wonder  if the driving capacity is enough for anthor FPGA? I also want to konw is there a delay betweent the outputing clock and the source  clock.?  Thank you .

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Re: question about using ODDR to forward a clock as an output in XCVU13P

using the ODDR is  the normal way to do this sort of thing.

Use a fast differnetial signal like LVDS between the FPGAs is a good tip as well.

As for the more general question of phase / clocking.

thats  VERY big one.

The optoins are

a) ignor and hope,

b) send clock with data between the fpgas, and re syncronise on the fpga

c) use the PLL's in the FPGAs to cancel out the delay

this is an old note, fig 11 might be of help

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/application_notes/xapp174.pdf

Note to adminstrators if they are on line:

These old app notes and techniques are in danger of being missed, as people looking at modern chips would not look at or for these old docs.

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
Observer niu_zun
Observer

@drjohnsmith  sorry. but i dont understand the second way using LVDS between FPGAs.In my opinon, every pin can be used as clock-outputing pin and I must use ODDR to keep the duty cycle and provide the best possible path.Does your second way mean that we can give a lvds clock directly to anthor FPGA without using ODDR? 

0 Kudos
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Quick recap.

LVDS. Is a normaly differential logic standard,

ODDR. is a Xilinx primative in the chip , output Double Datarate register

What format you select to send clock out / in on is up to you, I'd normaly select differential LVDS, is very reliable.

same goes for data

have a look here,

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/application_notes/xapp585-lvds-source-synch-serdes-clock-multiplication.pdf

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
Observer niu_zun
Observer

@drjohnsmith hello,thanks for reply. What confused me is that If I generate an outputing differential clock through ODDR and OBUFDS. what's the signal type of the outputing clock? Is it LVDS?  

0 Kudos
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

LVDS is the IO standard of the pins.

ODDR is a primative inside the fpga used to register

0 Kudos