UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor zjywindwalk
Visitor

Are there BUFIO like cells in ultrascale?

Jump to solution

I am working on timing closure of DDR IO, on utralscale FPGA.

And I got one solution from the the following link:

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/7-Series-FPGAs/LVDS-DDR-input-constrains/m-p/694350#M16385

But in ultrascale, there is no BUFIO, which is recommended to achieve small data eye in the above solution.

So, are there BUFIO like cells in ultrascale?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Historian
Historian

Re: Are there BUFIO like cells in ultrascale?

Jump to solution

Yes and no.

In UltraScale/UltraScale+ the whole concept of clocking has been changed. The primary difference between the different buffers in the 7 series were the size of the dedicated clock net they drove:

• A BUFG drove a clock network that spanned the entire device
  • A BUFR drove a clock network that spanned only one clock region
  • A BUFIO drove a clock network that only spanned the clocked cells in the I/O column of one bank

The smaller a clock network, the shorter the insertion delay. The fact that the BUFIO spanned only a small number of cells made the clock insertion very small, which led to little PVT variation to smaller capture windows. However, that being said, the BUFR timing for I/O is really pretty similar to the BUFIO - in fact, architecturally, I suspect they have a lot in common.

In UltraScale there are several different types of "global" clock buffers - BUFGCTRL, BUFGCE, BUFGCE_DIV - but they differ in functionality, not what they drive - they all drive the "global" clock network. I use the word "global" in quotes, since, while in the 7 series all global clock networks were truly global, in the US/US+, they are more flexible; the clock networks are built dynamically by the tool using the clock distribution and clock routing networks, and can end up with a clock network that spans as little as one clock region (which are smaller and more numerous in US/US+) to as large as the entire device (truly global).

So, with a "global" clock network that spans only one clock region (which is smaller than the clock region of the 7 series), the behavior of this clock would be similar to (or even better than) a BUFR in the 7 series.

So the trick to "BUFR-like" I/O performance is to have the clock come in on a clock capable pin, then go to a BUFGCE (or other global buffer), but restrict the clock to only one clock region. This can be done in a variety of manners, but I believe (I am not an expert in US/US+) the property "CLOCK_LOW_FANOUT" indicates to the tool that this is what you want. You need to place this property on the net driven by the BUFGE (the clock net) - this can be done either in the RTL using an attribute or in the XDC file.

Avrum

7 Replies
Historian
Historian

Jump to solution

Yes and no.

In UltraScale/UltraScale+ the whole concept of clocking has been changed. The primary difference between the different buffers in the 7 series were the size of the dedicated clock net they drove:

• A BUFG drove a clock network that spanned the entire device
  • A BUFR drove a clock network that spanned only one clock region
  • A BUFIO drove a clock network that only spanned the clocked cells in the I/O column of one bank

The smaller a clock network, the shorter the insertion delay. The fact that the BUFIO spanned only a small number of cells made the clock insertion very small, which led to little PVT variation to smaller capture windows. However, that being said, the BUFR timing for I/O is really pretty similar to the BUFIO - in fact, architecturally, I suspect they have a lot in common.

In UltraScale there are several different types of "global" clock buffers - BUFGCTRL, BUFGCE, BUFGCE_DIV - but they differ in functionality, not what they drive - they all drive the "global" clock network. I use the word "global" in quotes, since, while in the 7 series all global clock networks were truly global, in the US/US+, they are more flexible; the clock networks are built dynamically by the tool using the clock distribution and clock routing networks, and can end up with a clock network that spans as little as one clock region (which are smaller and more numerous in US/US+) to as large as the entire device (truly global).

So, with a "global" clock network that spans only one clock region (which is smaller than the clock region of the 7 series), the behavior of this clock would be similar to (or even better than) a BUFR in the 7 series.

So the trick to "BUFR-like" I/O performance is to have the clock come in on a clock capable pin, then go to a BUFGCE (or other global buffer), but restrict the clock to only one clock region. This can be done in a variety of manners, but I believe (I am not an expert in US/US+) the property "CLOCK_LOW_FANOUT" indicates to the tool that this is what you want. You need to place this property on the net driven by the BUFGE (the clock net) - this can be done either in the RTL using an attribute or in the XDC file.

Avrum

Visitor zjywindwalk
Visitor

Jump to solution

Avrum,

Thank you very much for your reply, it is helpful. One more question to confirm.

In my project, data is latched by IDDR using strobe as clock. 

So I connect the strobe to DBC pins, and then place the "CLOCK_LOW_FANOUT" property on the net driven by the BUFGE, connected to the iob of strobe.

Am I right?

Thanks,

Jevon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar brimdavis
Scholar

Jump to solution

@zjywindwalk  "So, are there BUFIO like cells in ultrascale?"

Here are some older posts regarding constraining Ultrascale I/O clock trees that might be helpful:

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/UltraScale-Architecture/Trouble-Implementing-a-Simple-Source-Sync-Input-DDR-Interface/m-p/897828#M7493

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Timing-Analysis/implementation-helps-FPGA-I-O-pass-STA/m-p/757816#M11358

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/UltraScale-Architecture/Zynq-Ultrascale-LVDS-in-native-mode/m-p/826945#M5927

Summary:

•  forcing Ultrascale direct I/O clock trees into a single clock region produces better/more repeatable results
    • 2017.3 and later support CLOCK_LOW_FANOUT  (UG949 page 101)
    • earlier versions require USER_CLOCK_ROOT and PBLOCKs
  • the DBC/QBC clock pins work for "native mode" I/O, GC clock pins work for "component mode" I/O
    • only the GC_QBC pins work as clock sources in both native and component mode
  • XAPP1324 is a good reference for component mode I/O

-Brian

Historian
Historian

Jump to solution

So I connect the strobe to DBC pins...

As @brimdavis mentioned, the DBC are for the "native mode" clocking - I have never used it, nor do I know how. If you want to use "BUFIO/BUFR-like" clocking, then you are working in "component mode" and the clock needs to be on a GC (not a DBC) pin, and connected through a BUFGCE to a clock net with CLOCK_LOW_FANOUT (and all logic driven by this clock must fit within one clock region).

Avrum

0 Kudos
Visitor zjywindwalk
Visitor

Jump to solution

Avrum,

Thank you. Must I insert a common cell, such as MMCM between the GC pin and the bufg?

In ug912, the syntax is

"XDC Syntax
set_property CLOCK_LOW_FANOUT TRUE [get_nets <clk_nets>]
Where
• <clk_nets> is a list of clock nets directly connected to the output of global clock
buffers, that are driven by a common cell, such as an MMCM for example.

"

But what I connected to the GC pin is a strobe, I don't want to insert a MMCM, instead I want to connect bufgce to iob directly. Is that OK?

0 Kudos
Visitor zjywindwalk
Visitor

Jump to solution

The stobe is used as non-continous clock and it is bidirectional。

0 Kudos
Historian
Historian

Jump to solution

But what I connected to the GC pin is a strobe, I don't want to insert a MMCM, instead I want to connect bufgce to iob directly. Is that OK?

As far as I know, yes, it should be OK.

Avrum

0 Kudos