UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer george_mrch
Observer

Bidirectional Source-Synchronous Interface between two FPGA

I'm trying to realize following type interface using SERDES primitives. FPGA B is a copy of FPGA A. But when I try to implement the scheme, I get from Vivado following critical warning and errors. As I understand is related with try place SERDESE primitives in the same IO bank, but clocking scheme does not allow it?How should I change my schema to get the specified implementation?

Thanks

critical.png
errors.png
Bidir_sourceSynchronous (1).jpg
0 Kudos
13 Replies

Re: Bidirectional Source-Synchronous Interface between two FPGA

Hi @george_mrch 

The correct Bidirectional Signaling Using IDELAY/ODELAY with ISERSDES and OSERDES is as follows.

The clock and clock_Div inputs to the ISERDED and OSERDES  should be from common source.

Capture.JPG

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply if you have any queries, give kudos and accept as solution
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Are these of use as reference

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/application_notes/xapp1064.pdf

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/application_notes/xapp585-lvds-source-synch-serdes-clock-multiplication.pdf

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
Observer george_mrch
Observer

Thanks @pthakare . How in this case to implement Forward Clock form FPGA A to FPGA B? In UG is not specified. How do I in this case recieve Data with clock from FGPA B to FPGA A

0 Kudos

Hi @george_mrch 

Is the data rate different in transmitting from FPGA A to B and Vice a versa?

Reply if you have any queries, give kudos and accept as solution
0 Kudos
Observer george_mrch
Observer

@pthakare 

Transmission data speed is the same.

0 Kudos
Observer george_mrch
Observer

@pthakare 

Here is what you need to get. I'm confused because I don’t understand how to implement a separate clock strobe for each direction

Untitled Diagram.jpg
0 Kudos
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Each FPGA needs to generate a clock to send with the data.

If an FPGA send data to two FPGAs it needs to send two clocks, one with each data , just as you have drawn,

In addition , each FPGA will need its own clock for its internal logic which runs constantly and from startup.

You then need to do clock crossing from the receive to the internal clocks
<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
Observer george_mrch
Observer

@drjohnsmith 

Maybe I did not understand you correctly. But it seems to me that SLK21 is not needed in this case? I can not understand: the 7 series allows you to use different sources of clock frequency for ISERDESE and OSERDESE. In this case, I can not do this.

SS.jpg
0 Kudos
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

To use source syn clocking,

your Iseddes needs to be clocked by the received clock,

not certain thats possible  in the chip you have, give it a try.

typical , high speed buses use i and o serdes, and these tend to be uni direcional , so they can have termination ,

so your in a bit of a un usual place here.

0 Kudos
Observer george_mrch
Observer

@drjohnsmith 

Following from the UG and picture above, I can not use received clock for iserdes clocking. Does this mean that I basically can not implement the required scheme? As in this case, for example, implemented memory interfaces that allow bidirectional data and a clock?

0 Kudos
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

What do you want to do ?

Interface between FPGAs as you have shown , or FPGA to DDR memory ?

If DDR memory, then use the memory wizard, there are special pins and functions to cover that you have to use,  special track constraints, tracks you have to feed out fomr the FPGA to the DDR and back  and the DDR chips have active / switched temrminatoin and PLL's on them.

If FPGA to FPGA, then, if you want to send stuff source syncronous, then you have to have clock with data, thats the definition of source syncronous.   Else use another method.

There are many other options out there to connect two FPGA's together, the current favorit is to use the GTx phys on th echips to run serial links at Gb/s ,

0 Kudos
Observer george_mrch
Observer

@drjohnsmith  

I need Interface between FPGAs.  But I do not understand how to send clock from FPGA 2 to FPGA 1. Because both ISERDESE and OSERDESE of FPGA1 and FPGA2 most operate with the same clock. This clock generate MMCM on the FPGA1 side, connect to ISERDESE and OSEREDSE in FPGA1 and this clock send to FPGA2 where this clock signal connect to ISERDESE and OSERDESE also. My question is what for send clock from FPGA2 to FPGA1? WHAT this signal will be clocked?Who will use it? After all ISERDESE and OSRDESE on the FPGA1 side use MMCM clock, they do not need transferred from FPGA2 clock?

0 Kudos
Observer george_mrch
Observer

@drjohnsmith 

Forgive me, but I feel stupid

0 Kudos