UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clock Input

Jump to solution

I am trying to connect a differential (LVDS) clock to bank 66 of a XCZU9EG-ffvb1156.  I am using the IO Ports tab of the implemented design to assign pins.  Bank 66 is using a 1.8V VCCO.  DIFF_TERM is set to TRUE in the code.  I am trying to assign the _P side of the clock to Y4 which is labelled IO_L13P_T2L_N0_GC_QBC_66.  My understanding is that the GC indicates a clock capable pin and that the L13P means that it should be the P side of the LVDS.  The pull down does not show Y4, or any GC pins in bank 66.  I have not locked the input buffer or the MMCME4_ADV anywhere in my code. 

Does anybody have any thoughts as to why I can't assign the clock to this pin?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Clock Input

Jump to solution

Hi @bruce_karaffa,

There are definitely a few different ways to assign physical pins to a port. I believe it should be done, ideally, before you run the implementation, since that information will be used by the P&R to optimize the network traces.

The way I do (and I think is the easiest way) is to add those as constraints to the xdc file, or yet to issue those commands via TCL.

So whenever I create a project, I first look into the document UltraScale and UltraScale+ FPGAs Packaging and Pinouts - UG575, and find which pins in my device are GC (and decide which ones I want to use).

Then I create an xdc file and add constraints like these:

create_clock -add -name sys_clk_pin -period 13.46 [get_ports SYSCLK_P]

set_property PACKAGE_PIN AK14 [get_ports SYSCLK_N]
set_property IOSTANDARD LVDS_25 [get_ports SYSCLK_N]
set_property PACKAGE_PIN AK15 [get_ports SYSCLK_P]
set_property IOSTANDARD LVDS_25 [get_ports SYSCLK_P]

Then, once I run the synthesis, those places are already applied and carry through the implementation as well.

Thanks,

Andre Guerrero

Product Applications Engineer

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Jump to solution

I locked down a number of other pins and re-implemented my design.  Sure enough the placer put the clock on Y4, just like I wanted all along.  Thanks Vivado 2017.2. 

I would mark this as solved, but a solution shouldn't leave me more confused than the original question.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @bruce_karaffa,

There are definitely a few different ways to assign physical pins to a port. I believe it should be done, ideally, before you run the implementation, since that information will be used by the P&R to optimize the network traces.

The way I do (and I think is the easiest way) is to add those as constraints to the xdc file, or yet to issue those commands via TCL.

So whenever I create a project, I first look into the document UltraScale and UltraScale+ FPGAs Packaging and Pinouts - UG575, and find which pins in my device are GC (and decide which ones I want to use).

Then I create an xdc file and add constraints like these:

create_clock -add -name sys_clk_pin -period 13.46 [get_ports SYSCLK_P]

set_property PACKAGE_PIN AK14 [get_ports SYSCLK_N]
set_property IOSTANDARD LVDS_25 [get_ports SYSCLK_N]
set_property PACKAGE_PIN AK15 [get_ports SYSCLK_P]
set_property IOSTANDARD LVDS_25 [get_ports SYSCLK_P]

Then, once I run the synthesis, those places are already applied and carry through the implementation as well.

Thanks,

Andre Guerrero

Product Applications Engineer

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

View solution in original post