cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor
Visitor

I have a XCVU440. Can I solder it to any board of the same series?

Jump to solution

Hello!

I have a XCVU440 looking for a home. Can I solder it to a development board from the same series? I was thinking of manufacturing the board thanks to the gerber files provided online, assembling the components myself and maybe exploiting a real reflow oven for soldering the actual chip. Any chance this will work?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Explorer
Explorer

ok, so your question is actually about compatibility. As far as I know they specify what chips are compatible, I think in the family datasheet (DS890). Basically, they try to make all that go in the same package compatible. Have a look at table 8, page 10, for example.

Any FPGA chip can have different voltages on each bank, what you have to match is the peripherals connected to the pins in those banks to run at the same voltage. If you clone an existing (and working) board it will be like that.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Explorer
Explorer

The chances of succesfully hand-soldering a large BGA are little... Even if you have access to a professional assembly equipment, keep in mind is highly advisable to bake both chip and PCB to prevent humidity popping and ruining your assembly. 

Not discouraging you, but even in the best conditions, not 100% of assemblies go well.

Nevertheless, some hobbyists sometimes succeed. They usually do BGA repairs (desoldering, reballing and soldering with hot air gun) and are terribly skilled at that. First-timers have much less chances of success.

My suggestion is to get lots of advice and be aware of all things that can go wrong.

0 Kudos
Visitor
Visitor

I understand that, I should have specified I'm part of that weird group of people hand soldering 0.4mm pitch BGAs from time to time. Even then I was planning to outsource this to an actual assembly house where they can x-ray the board to ensure they did the job right as I'm not used to this kind of BGAs.

But my question was different. Can I use any of the boards in the XCVU* series with a XCVU440 chip? Will it work? I have very little FPGA experience and I don't know if those boards have proprietary voltages, configurations, etc, that are specific to the chip, or if replacing chips within the same series is supposed to work. Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

ok, so your question is actually about compatibility. As far as I know they specify what chips are compatible, I think in the family datasheet (DS890). Basically, they try to make all that go in the same package compatible. Have a look at table 8, page 10, for example.

Any FPGA chip can have different voltages on each bank, what you have to match is the peripherals connected to the pins in those banks to run at the same voltage. If you clone an existing (and working) board it will be like that.

View solution in original post

Visitor
Visitor

Oh, I see. It's using a package not shared by any other chip, so the answer must be a big resounding no. I should have figured that out on my own but I had assumed the same package for the whole series somehow. Thank you!

0 Kudos