cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Maximum Current Draw about XCVU37P

Jump to solution

Hello.

I have a question about Maximum Current Draw.

I will use XCVU37P, but I can't find Maximum Current Draw for this device.

This information not listed UG583.

Someone, Could you tell me Maximum Current Draw abaut XCVU37P?

thank.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Maximum Current Draw about XCVU37P

Jump to solution

@tkudo_vectology 

I am thinking about Max VCCINT as follows.

For example, if current consumption exceeds Max VCCINT in the current specification FPGA, review from the basic part is required. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You will know this from XPE. The VCCINT cell will turn red if you exceed the package maximum current limit like below for example and so you will need to adjust your resources or environment variables accordingly. 

vccint_red.jpg

I do not think that my current estimate will exceed Max VCCINT, but I want to know the limits of the device. 

As mentioned earlier, once the characterization is done, the value will get published in UG583. 

For now, you can use XPE and if you want to find the Max Package Current limit, you will need to play around with the utilization and check at what point the VCCINT cell turns red which will give you a rough ball park figure of the Max Current value.  

- Giri
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's no such thing as a stupid question. Feel free to ask but do a quick search to make sure it ain't already answered.
Keep conversing, give Kudos and Accept Solution when you get one.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Highlighted

Jump to solution

@tkudo_vectology It depends on your design and operating conditions. Unlike ASIC, the FPGA is user configurable and so it boils down to resource utilization in your design. 

We have couple of tools for you to estimate/analyze the power. Xilinx Power Estimator to estimate your power and Vivado Power do analyse the power consumed by your design once you have it ready. 

I would recommend you go through below docs to understand in detail

XPE:  https://www.xilinx.com/products/technology/power/xpe.html

http://www.xilinx.com/video/hardware/using-the-xilinx-power-estimator.html

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2018_1/ug440-xilinx-power-estimator.pdf

Vivado Power: http://www.xilinx.com/video/hardware/power-estimation-analysis-using-vivado.html

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2018_1/ug907-vivado-power-analysis-optimization.pdf

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2018_1/ug997-vivado-power-analysis-optimization-tutorial.pdf

- Giri
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's no such thing as a stupid question. Feel free to ask but do a quick search to make sure it ain't already answered.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Thanks for your reply.

Excuse me. My writing was inappropriate.

I want to know "Max Possible VCCINT Current (A)(100°C, 10 Years)" for XCVU37P.

Other device's are listed in UG583 (page 44, Table 1-21: Maximum VCCINT Current for Virtex UltraScale+ Devices), but XCVU37P is not listed in there.

Can I get "Max Possible VCCINT Current (A)(100°C, 10 Years)" for XCVU37P ?

thanks

Maximum VCCINT.PNG
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

@tkudo_vectology Got it. Thanks for clarifying. The VU37P is a newer device and so isn't yet on UG583 as characterization is ongoing. It will get updated on UG583 once done. 

So to answer your query,  you will still need to use XPE to estimate what your design is expected to draw. That would be the best way to move forward for you. Based on that, you will need to design a good thermal solution as well since VU37P is a lidless package. 

Also, any reason why you are looking at the Max VCCINT spec for now? 

- Giri
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Thanks for your reply.

I understand that XPE is used to calculate power consumption and thermal.

For example, if current consumption exceeds Max VCCINT in the current specification FPGA, review from the basic part is required.

I do not think that my current estimate will exceed Max VCCINT, but I want to know the limits of the device.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

@tkudo_vectology 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You will know this from XPE. The VCCINT cell will turn red if you exceed the package maximum current limit like below for example and so you will need to adjust your resources or environment variables accordingly. 

vccint_red.jpg

As mentioned earlier, once the characterization is done, the value will get published in UG583. 

For now, you can use XPE and if you want to find the Max Package Current limit, you will need to play around with the utilization and check at what point the VCCINT cell turns red which will give you a rough ball park figure of the Max Current value.  

- Giri

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Thanks for your reply.

I understood using XPE to eliminate errors.
By operating XPE, I confirmed that the vicinity of 220 A is VU37
P Max VCCINT.
(Because the datasheet has not been updated, as a guide only)

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

@tkudo_vectology Ok. Do note that XPE Characterization status for the VU37P is in Advance stage and is subject to change as more data becomes available. Below is the details of the various stages. Something for you to be aware of

xpe_char.jpg

- Giri
0 Kudos