UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Participant anton2
Participant

Transmit an IF waveform using RF-DAC & RF-ADC loopback of RFSoC

Jump to solution

Hi,

I'm trying to transmit a complex-valued waveform (bandwidth of like 20MHz and up-converted to an IF=50MHz) on a DAC channel (8x interpolation, sampling rate 983.04MS/s) of zcu1275, and receive it by an ADC channel (8x decimation, sampling rate 983.04MS/s) with down-conversion.

But the waveform error, compared with transmitted one, seems very large (like SNR < 25dB).

Does anyone have experience on similar experiments?

I guess it may be related to DAC/ADC dynamic range, or some overflow within the digital data path.

Does RF data converter IP core have a range of "suitable" input amplitude? Current waveform has a max of about -5 dBFS (dB below full scale) and an average of about -15 dBFS.

And will the data amplitude be somewhat adjusted within the digital data path of RF-DAC/ADC (e.g., to prevent overflow)? Can I find relevant information somewhere?

Since I don't have much experience on this RF data converter IP core, or analog part, any suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Transmit an IF waveform using RF-DAC & RF-ADC loopback of RFSoC

Jump to solution

@anton2 wrote:

Hi @zhendon 

Thanks a lot.

I'm still working on this issue.

(1) In my setup, the received baseband waveform had a phase shift compared with transmitted baseband waveform. May I ask how to remove it (for example, by setting any parameters)?

(2) What kind of cable did you use for loop back? And, did you use DC Block? This information could be important for me. Thanks a lot.

(3) May I ask how to use "RF analyzer" together with ZCU1275? Could you please kindly provide any web links or user guide?

Hello @anton2 

Sorry for the delayed response. I was on vacation for a week.

1) You might can compenstate the phase shift by setting and updating the NCO phase. there are two ways to do that. One is to update the mixer setting by using API function XRFdc_SetMixerSettings . The other way is to manipulating the NCO frequncy hopping interface. The interface is used for frequency hopping application so you can certainly use it for setting the new phase shift value.

The detail information of both methods can be found in PG269 and feel free to let me know if you have further questions.

2) I used an external balun board and the balun is DC blocked.

3) It is very easy to use RF analyzer for ZCU1275. There is an prebuilt bit file in the folder ..\RF_analyzer_1_5\Protocol\RFAnalyzer\bitstreams. You can used the bit file with name "RF_Analyzer_29DR_20mA.bit".

This AR can help you have a quick look on how to startup the GUI.

https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/72486.html

UG1309 is the official document

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/user_guides/ug1309-rf-data-converter-interface.pdf

You can jump to Ch5 in this user guide for detail information of RF analyzer.

thanks.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
如果提供的信息能解决您的问题,请标记为“接受为解决方案”。
如果您认为帖子有帮助,请点击“奖励”。谢谢!

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Hello,

Is it possible for you to have a check on the DAC output by a spectrum analyzer before looping back to the ADC? I will check you case with my ZCU1275 and get back to you later.

如果您认为帖子有帮助,请点击“奖励”。谢谢!
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Jump to solution
You have two parts to the problem,
analog and digital,
you need to divide an conqueror

Digital , simulate the design, see if that saturates, wave forms get through un distorted.

Analog, do you have the correct filtering on the DAC output, are you saturating the amplifiers / drivers,

Out with the spec analyser scope , unless you have good simulation for this

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Hello,

I had a quick check on ZCU1275. DAC output loop back to ADC. It seems no problem with your setting for this board. I compared the ADC output in GUI with the DAC output directly to spectrum analyzer. ALmost the same.

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

如果您认为帖子有帮助,请点击“奖励”。谢谢!
Participant anton2
Participant

Jump to solution

Hi @zhendon 

Thanks a lot.

(1) In my setup, the received baseband waveform had a phase shift compared with transmitted baseband waveform. May I ask how to remove it (for example, by setting any parameters)?

(2) What kind of cable did you use for loop back? And, did you use DC Block? This information could be important for me. Thanks a lot.

(3) May I ask how to use "RF analyzer" together with ZCU1275? Could you please kindly provide any web links or user guide?

0 Kudos
Participant anton2
Participant

Jump to solution

Hi @drjohnsmith 

Thanks a lot for the advice.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

@anton2 wrote:

Hi @zhendon 

Thanks a lot.

Hello @anton2 

Sorry for the delayed response. I was on vacation for a week.

1) You might can compenstate the phase shift by setting and updating the NCO phase. there are two ways to do that. One is to update the mixer setting by using API function XRFdc_SetMixerSettings . The other way is to manipulating the NCO frequncy hopping interface. The interface is used for frequency hopping application so you can certainly use it for setting the new phase shift value.

The detail information of both methods can be found in PG269 and feel free to let me know if you have further questions.

2) I used an external balun board and the balun is DC blocked.

3) It is very easy to use RF analyzer for ZCU1275. There is an prebuilt bit file in the folder ..\RF_analyzer_1_5\Protocol\RFAnalyzer\bitstreams. You can used the bit file with name "RF_Analyzer_29DR_20mA.bit".

This AR can help you have a quick look on how to startup the GUI.

https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/72486.html

UG1309 is the official document

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/user_guides/ug1309-rf-data-converter-interface.pdf

You can jump to Ch5 in this user guide for detail information of RF analyzer.

thanks.

如果您认为帖子有帮助,请点击“奖励”。谢谢!

View solution in original post