Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gsmecher
Explorer
Explorer

UltraScale native mode I/O at lower clock rates

Jump to solution

UG571 describes "component mode" and "native mode" I/Os:

• "Component mode" provides a friendly backwards compatibility layer (I'm familiar with 7-series devices, so this is helpful), but
  • "Native mode" is a closer match to what's actually present on the silicon.

So far so good. However, native mode has a minimum signaling rate (DS892 Table 24) of 300 Mbps (RX DDR) or 150 MHz (RX SDR). This minimum rate is associated with the path through the PLL (e.g. CLKOUTPHY).

Two questions:

• It must be possible to use "native mode" at lower clock rates, since that is effectively what "component mode" does. How?
  • Can QBC/DBC be used as capture clocks at DDR rates below 300 MHz by avoiding the PLL? We do not need its jitter-cleaning capabilities and would prefer to avoid the extra power dissipation.

I have reviewed DS892, UG571, and XAPP1274 in detail but can't find any hints.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sandrao
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @gsmecher

It is NOT possible.

You do not need a PLL in Component mode. As I said you can use the BUFG & BUFGCE_DIV in parallel to clock the CLK & CLKDIV of the ISERDES/OSERDES.

Thanks,

Sandy

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

If starting with Versal take a look at our Versal Design Process Hub , Versal Blogs and the Versal Useful Resources .

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
sandrao
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @gsmecher 

Component Mode is a software abstraction of the Native Mode. It is not possible to use the "Native Mode" (RXTX_BITSLICE) at lower rates as this requires the CLKOUTPHY of the PLL.

If you need to go slower and move to Component Mode = ISERDES/OSERDES then a different clocking structure is implemented. The ISERDES/OSERDES is the software abstraction of the RXTX_BITSLICE with the clocking structure setup to come from other than the CLKOUTPHY. 

In Component Mode you do need to use a _GC pin to ensure you clock is routed on clock routing. If you do not need the PLL you can use a BUFG & BUFGCE_DIV in parallel to clock the CLK & CLKDIV of the ISERDES/OSERDES. 

Thanks,

Sandy

If starting with Versal take a look at our Versal Design Process Hub , Versal Blogs and the Versal Useful Resources .

0 Kudos
gsmecher
Explorer
Explorer

Hi Sandy,

Thanks: your description matches my understanding, but I doesn't directly tackle my question.

We have a hardware design that can be made to work with component primitives (using a nearby GC), but which would be cleaner if we could use DBC/QBC as a capture clock below the minimum rate supported by native mode (280 Mbps / 140 MHz DDR in this case).

It's a receive-only interface with a center-aligned capture clock at DBC/QBC, which is about as simple as it gets. Even if the data rate was high enough to meet the minimum RX_BITSLICE frequency, we'd prefer to save the power and avoid the PLL.

I'm wondering if this configuration is possible. It's certainly not documented and I realize we're a little off-piste. However, with the sole exception of the minimum-frequency-requirement we're a perfect match for RX_BITSLICE and I'd like to chase this possibility down further.

best,
Graeme

0 Kudos
sandrao
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @gsmecher

It is NOT possible.

You do not need a PLL in Component mode. As I said you can use the BUFG & BUFGCE_DIV in parallel to clock the CLK & CLKDIV of the ISERDES/OSERDES.

Thanks,

Sandy

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
gsmecher
Explorer
Explorer

Perfect. Thanks for being unequivocal.

cheers,
Graeme

0 Kudos