cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Using VRP as general purpose i/o

I'm using one of the VRP pins, in a bank not utilizing DCI, as an output in a design on an ultrascale part.  My understanding is that there is no issue with this configuration.  However, I later found a note from Xilinx in a app note that says using VRP as i/o should be a last resort and may make impedance unstable in the bank - it isn't clear if that note only pertains to DCI or if it's applicable to general use.  Can anyone clarify this point?  Are there any consequences of using VRP as general i/o when not using DCI?  Does anything special have to be configured so that VRP will work as an i/o?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

w,

I do not see anything regarding UltraScale for this situation -- what document are you referring to?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

This is what I came across

"With DCI disabled, the VRP pin, in each bank can be used as a single ended I/O, however impedance control and termination for all I/O within the bank will be very poor and therefore should be used as a last resort for additional I/O. DCI is disabled by setting the DCITERMDISABLE flag = 1"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

First,

Yes, if you require DCI in that bank, then using the VRP as IO will interfere with that.  But, other than that obvious case, is that note from a UltraScale document?

0 Kudos
Visitor
Visitor

It was provided to me by a colleague.  I'll have to double check.  But since I'm not using DCI, using VRP as i/o should be completely fine, right?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

I did not find any related caution for UltraScale,

But, I did not read every link I found.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Thank you for checking.

0 Kudos