UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scholar pedro_uno
Scholar

clocking wizard alignment of multiple MMCM output clocks with static phase shift

Jump to solution

Hello,

I am using the Clocking Wizard to create an MMCM design to generate clocks.  clkin is and ADC clock running 32MHz. I want to produce two outputs with the MMCM, clkout and clkoutx8.  clkout is the same frequency as clkin and clkoutx8 is eight times that frequency, 256MHz.   I use clkoutx8 to run the dsp pipeline of the system. I need those clocks to be aligned because after receiving the ADC data it is immediately transfered to the faster clock for processing. My part is a ZU2CG.

clkout is clocking the input registers that receive data from the ADC.  I want to be able to add a phase shift on clkout in order to sample the ADC data with good timing margin. 

My problem is that if I put a phase shift on clkout it is no longer aligned with clkoutx8.  I would rather not use two MMCM or use the dynamic phase shift controls to accomplish this. I remember in the past (7-Series?) setting a single phase shift number and having all outputs stay aligned.

Is there a way using Clocking Wizard to set a single phase shift that affects all output clocks, keeping them aligned?

----------------------------------------
DSP in hardware and software
-----------------------------------------
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: clocking wizard alignment of multiple MMCM output clocks with static phase shift

Jump to solution

@pedro_uno 

Instead of generating clkout directly from the MMCM, you could generate only clkoutx8 and send it through parallel clock buffers, BUFGCE and BUFGCE_DIV, as shown in Fig 3-49 of UG949(v2019.1). 

Output of the BUFGCE will be clkoutx8.  When programmed to give divide-by-8, output of the BUFGCE_DIV will be ckout.  Outputs of the BUFGCE and the BUFGCE_DIV will be phase-aligned regardless of phase-shift that you assign to the MMCM. 

If for some reason you want to use parallel BUFGCE_DIV with different divider settings, then you must carefully reset and enable the BUFGCE_DIVs as described on page 120 of UG949 – “Otherwise, the divided clocks might become phase shifted from one another in hardware, which is not reported by the Vivado tools.”

Mark

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Re: clocking wizard alignment of multiple MMCM output clocks with static phase shift

Jump to solution

@pedro_uno 

Instead of generating clkout directly from the MMCM, you could generate only clkoutx8 and send it through parallel clock buffers, BUFGCE and BUFGCE_DIV, as shown in Fig 3-49 of UG949(v2019.1). 

Output of the BUFGCE will be clkoutx8.  When programmed to give divide-by-8, output of the BUFGCE_DIV will be ckout.  Outputs of the BUFGCE and the BUFGCE_DIV will be phase-aligned regardless of phase-shift that you assign to the MMCM. 

If for some reason you want to use parallel BUFGCE_DIV with different divider settings, then you must carefully reset and enable the BUFGCE_DIVs as described on page 120 of UG949 – “Otherwise, the divided clocks might become phase shifted from one another in hardware, which is not reported by the Vivado tools.”

Mark

View solution in original post

Scholar pedro_uno
Scholar

Jump to solution

That is a pretty good answer.  It looks like the Clocking Wizard does not know how to do this type of logic.  I will hack into the clock-wiz generated code to make a custom block but it looks low risk.

Thanks

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

It looks like the Clocking Wizard does not know how to do this type of logic.
Try telling the Clocking Wizard to use "no buffer" on its output - and then instantiate the BUFGCE and BUFGCE_DIV.
CLK_WIZ_NoBUF.jpg

-a related reminder:

As you do, the MMCM can be used to delay/advance the clock of an FPGA IO interface and place the clock capture-edge in the middle of the data-eye.   When doing this is convenient to place a “set_property PHASESHIFT_MODE LATENCY” constraint on the MMCM, making it easy for us to convert a MMCM phase-shift into a MMCM time-delay/advance (see UG906(v2019.1), pg227).

However, as Avrum warns in <this> post, “PHASESHIFT_MODE LATENCY” should not be used if the MMCM is outputting multiple clocks with a different phase shifts for each clock.  -because, the Vivado tools will incorrectly understand the phase relationship between the clocks, which can sometimes cause timing analysis to be incorrect (eg. for direct clock-crossings).

Mark

Scholar pedro_uno
Scholar

Jump to solution

I see what you are saying, thanks

0 Kudos
Scholar pedro_uno
Scholar

Jump to solution

Actually, this won't work for me.  I need to use the slower clock to clock the input registers for the ADC data.  If I multiply by eight then divide by eight the phase will be random, in one of eight possible phase relationships to the input clock.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

If I multiply by eight then divide by eight the phase will be random, in one of eight possible phase relationships to the input clock.

You should get a consistent phase relationship between the MMCM input-clock and the BUFGCE_DIV output-clock if you toggle the CLR pin of the BUFGCE_DIV at the “right” time.  I understand that toggling the CLR pin will reset the divider-counter in the BUFGCE_DIV – although Xilinx documentation is not entirely clear on this.

A “right” time would be on a rising-edge of the MMCM input-clock.  However, dedicated routing from a clock-capable pin to the MMCM may prevent you from using the MMCM input-clock.  Instead, you could configure the MMCM to output both a divide-by-8 and a divide-by-1 version of the input clock.  Then, you could toggle the CLR pin of the BUFGCE_DIV on the rising-edge of the divide-by-1 clock-output of the MMCM.

0 Kudos