Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ioannis_Zaf
Observer
Observer

transfer ADC data to PC

Hi all,

I have the ZCU208 RFSoc device and I want to use all 8 adc at full sampling rate (5 Gsps). I want to transfer all the data from the ADCs to a PC in real time. Could you propose a way to do that? Which port to use for example?

Best regards

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
maps-mpls
Mentor
Mentor

Every bit of every sample?

I think that rules out the UART over USB.  Pretty sure about that.

Are you downsampling? 

What kind of PC? 

Anyway, that's a lot of bandwidth. 

Can we assume the sample streams are highly compressible?

In general you need to do a bandwidth analysis, look at you whether you can get a PC with an interface with that can absorb that volume of data.  Most likely require a server with multiple wide PCIe expansion slots with several 100G eithernet PCIe host adapters and multiple 100G interfaces (I guess about 6 or 7 100 G interfaces will do it, depending on if you pack samples uncompressed). 

*** Destination: Rapid design and development cycles *** Unappreciated answers get deleted, unappreciative OPs get put on ignored list ***
Tags (2)
bruce_karaffa
Scholar
Scholar

In addition to @maps-mpls comments, can I ask what you intend to do with this data?  The data rate is greater that the disk transfer rate or even the memory bandwidth of a good PC. Unless you have something really special on the receiving side, you will drop data.  You should tune to your band of interest, filter and downsample to get the data rate down to something reasonable.

0 Kudos
Ioannis_Zaf
Observer
Observer

Hi, thanks for the answers. I know its a bit extreme but I wanted to check if such a project its feasible. For the extreme senario, I do no do any compression or downsampling of the data. We will have to use 8 pc one for each ADC I suppose and then transfer the data to a large server probably. I wondered mostly from the board side,which ports to use... After some investigation, I think I could use the tranceivers of the FMC+ connector with a suitable FMC+ card that has 100G Ethernets or something like that on it. Do you think that's feasible?
On the ZCU208 site, it says that the board has 12x 33Gb/s GTY transceivers. Then on the ZCU208 user guide at some point it says: 

The ZU48DR Zynq UltraScale+ RFSoC has 4 GTR gigabit transceivers (6 Gb/s capable) on the PSside
and 16 GTY gigabit transceivers (28 Gb/s capable) on the PL-side. Two of four GTR
transceivers are used. All 16 GTY transceivers are used.

Then there is a different number of tranceivers on the FMC+ side and I'm a bit confused on how many transceivers I can use and their speed.

0 Kudos