cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sharknado
Visitor
Visitor

ALSA Codec Volume Control with distinct Xilinx PL Sound Card (Audio Formatter -> I2S cores) and Codec

Greetings Xilinx users and mods,

I have been tasked with developing sound functionality (Playback only!) for an embedded Linux device. The three blocks at play in this audio path are:

1) Xilinx audio formatter core

2) Xilinx I2S transmitter core

3) TI PCM1681 DAC

I currently have a functional Xilinx PL Sound Card and can play .wav files using ALSA utils' aplay command. Now I would like to provide high-level, user-space volume control via ALSA tapping into the DAC digital attenuation control. The complexity lies in the fpga "middle-man" components, which provide the means to transmit audio but not - AFAIK - configure the actual codec being streamed to!

What I have working:

• streaming of .wav files through the Xilinx cores and into the PCM1681
  • volume control via direct I2C register writes. This is an undesirable interface for the user-space application.

Attempted solutions:

Replace Dummy-DAC DAI component of Xilinx PL Card

sharknado_0-1620320734379.png

sharknado_5-1620320960342.png

sharknado_1-1620320739909.png

The Xilinx card bails here, so we are without sound card. Maybe I'm using the wrong names in the COMP_CODEC macro?

ALSA simple-audio-card device tree shenanigans

I thought producing a simple card with a dummy node might give me volume control, but I can't get such a card to come up.

sharknado_2-1620320749289.png

sharknado_4-1620320838737.png

sharknado_3-1620320785776.png

Are either of the approaches I listed above valid? If not, is there any way to simply give ALSA control of the codec volume? Any help is much appreciated!

2 Replies
melofelossa
Observer
Observer

Hello!

I suggest you to not use the ASoC simple card soundcard driver. I struggled alot with it and at the end I still couldn't make it work with the Xilinx IP cores and drivers (Audio_Formatter, I2S Rx/Tx).
I contacted Kuninori Morimoto, the author of simple-card.c, and Alexandre Belloni from Bootlin. They gave me suggestions on how I could make it work but I still wasn't able to make it work. 
At the moment it seems like the Xilinx drivers are incompatible with simple-card. But thats just a tought. You could take a look at the sourcecode to tell if they should be able to work together.
I conntacted the Xilinx support and they suggested me to use the Xilinx PL Soundcard driver. After that the support answered to my forum post to make the information public:
Solved: Re: Is the ASoC Simple-Card driver compatible with... - Community Forums (xilinx.com)
However, the Xilinx Soundcard is not as good as the Simple-Card driver because you have to be capable of linux device driver development. Also this is a much more time consuming task in comparison to just write a device tree node.

I found a guy who wrote a working Xilinx PL soundcard. Here is the link to his projekt: 
Linux device driver for Zedboard audio (2/2) | by Yuhei Horibe | Medium
Here is the link to his soundcard .c file
zedboard_audio.c · GitHub

Note that he didn't use the 18,xx MHz dyamic MCLK which you SHOULD use. He decided to use a fixed MCLK with another fequency. Because of this he faced some problems which he mentioned at the end of his post.

Hope this helps!

sharknado
Visitor
Visitor

Thanks for the reply! I am checking out that resource now.

That post of yours is helpful for noting that the Xilinx PL and simple-audio cards are incompatible. That confirms what I have come to suspect. In light of that, the two approaches which I outlined in the original post may still be plausible solutions. Hopefully there is a way to replace that dummy codec component in the driver with the actual codec i2c component; it would be disappointing if the Xilinx PL soundcard cannot directly adjust controls, and that is the only way I see to do it. Maybe I just have the wrong names for my codec, but that is what appears in it's driver.

Thanks again for the response!