cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Bare Metal on screen display (text output to HDMI)

I am attempting to utilize the On Screen Display IP (v6.0) but it is not going well for me.  I would like to open an example design for the IP but it does not seem that there are any examples or drivers associated with the IP at this time?  I would really like to see a (AXI/bare metal) test bench example for writing text, but I am having a hard time finding this.

I have attempted to run a simple simulation with it (configure the IP for passthrough, but do not dispatch any AXI commands) but the core seems to stay in reset be in reset for over 20msec (my simulation design finishes a frame in <7msec without the OSD core)

Can I have some guidance specifically to help get started displaying text on the HDMI port (I am using ZCU104)

Thanks!

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Bare Metal on screen display (text output to HDMI)

Hello @briankincaid,

Thera is a XAPP1205, which is included OSD IP(v6.0), targeted at KC705.

You could download a reference design, so please refer to it.

https://www.xilinx.com/products/intellectual-property/ef-di-osd.html#documentation

Best regards,

kshimizu

Product Application Engineer

Xilinx Technical Support

-------------------------------------------------------

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Please Give Kudos.

Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Hi @kshimizu,

I downloaded the XAPP1205 but unfortunately that design does not have the OSD AXI interface enabled (so the graphics controller, text, is not enabled).   As implemented the OSD IP only does alpha blending in that reference design.

If there exists a basic simulation test bench demonstrating the OSD IP with text output I would be able to run with that.  The video training series on this forum has been very helpful.  A simulation with OSD dropped into XVES_005 with the test bench set up to output some text would be all I need to figure it out.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @briankincaid,

Did you refer to a PG010(OSD, v6.0) and try a simulation?  Test Bench is described at Capter 9 and is generated together with core in Vivado, so I believe that it could be a good start.

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/v_osd/v6_0/pg010_v_osd.pdf

The OSD IP will be obsoleted in 2019.1 so that it is not described in Video Serious.  The Video Mixer is recommended instead, however it is not included a graphical controller.

Best regards,
Kazu

Product Application Engineer

Xilinx Technical Support

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Please Give Kudos.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

@kshimizu I would really like to, but the link from the guide is lost on Xilinx website (Error 404)

https://www.xilinx.com/products/ipcenter/EF-DI-OSD.htm

I would like to download it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

HI @briankincaid,

The C model is different from the simulation. I believe you can get the test bench from the output products generated for the OSD.

But again we do not recommend using the OSD. This IP will be removed from the IP catalog in Vivado 2019.1. Please use the VPSS instead.

Regards,

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @briankincaid,

Do you have any updates on this? Were you able to make any progress?

Thanks and Regards,

Florent
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Hi Florent.  

No, I don't have any progress.  The IP is not producing any output products, and I don't understand why.

If I were to get a very simple example project either in simulation or in baremetal C I would be in great shape.  

My preference would be to drop it into the 005 simulation project published on this forum (the one that outputs to a .ppm)

I can do the rest.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @briankincaid,

Just to set expectations: As mentioned, I will not do any video series on this or modify my video series to add this. The IP is deprecated and will be removed from the catalog in future vivado version. There is no point for the long term.

With that say, I will still try to help you as much as I can. The IP includes a test bench, did you find it? When the IP is generated in vivado you will find it under sources_1\ip\v_osd_0\v_osd_0\demo_tb

Regards,

Florent
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Dear @briankincaid,

We have video mixer IP, but it doesn't support texts and we do not want to use the OSD IP too. Is there a way to display text using buffers in DRAM? (Something like adding text frames into DRAM buffers and displaying them).

0 Kudos