cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Camera Application Help

Hello,

This is my first time posting so excuse me if this is a bad way to do this but I don't know where to get started.  I want to use a MIPI camera (between 2MB and 5MB) that I need to transfer the data of over wireless.  From an FPGA point of view, I would need to be able to read the MIPI, break out the data, use a H.264 encoder, and output the data over SPI.  Is that something that is possible all within an FPGA?  Do I need more hardware?  Any suggestions or best options to handle this?

Thanks,
Greg

Tags (5)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted

To clarify, is this possible and what dev board would be a good starting point for it?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

Highlighted

Hello,

Thanks for response.  I think that would due the trick but the pricing wouldn't really make it an economical product in the end.  Anything else that you can think of or should I off load some of this over multiple chips?  

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Would it better to offload this or do it a little different?  Would a camera with USB or just parallel data be better so I don't have to decode?  Maybe just an encoder for the data?  Thoughts?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor
Advisor

The cheapest way is to go and buy a wifi CCTV camera from AliExpress; it'll probably cost you under $40. I can more-or-less guarantee that you're not going to be able to make one yourself for that price.

Second-cheapest option is probably just a USB camera feeding a Raspberry Pi; a modern Raspberry Pi should have plenty of processing power to perform H.264 encoding.

An FPGA can definitely do it, and will probably be more power-efficient (and more capable of other tasks) than the Raspberry Pi, but it's not going to be the cheapest option.