cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

How to write vivado sdk to implement hdmi frequency doubling?

Jump to solution

I need to receive a 30Hz video stream from HDMI in and export it as 60Hz through HDMI out.

I would like to use double buffer so that

cycle    from  hdmi in                                                          to  hdmi out

1            write to  buffer 1 (top half of frame 1)           read from buffer  2(whole frame 1)

2            write to buffer 1 (bottom half of frame1 )    read from buffer 2(whole frame 1 again )

3            write to  buffer 2 (top half of frame 2)             read from  buffer1(whole frame 2)

4           write to buffer 2 (bottom half of frame 2)    read from buffer 1(whole frame 2 again)

I don't know how to implement above in  Vivado SDK.  Please advise.

Also, is there any examples?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Hi @dr.elichan 

It will not work with only 2 buffers. You need to use at least 3 buffers so you have one buffer to switch from/to.

If you work with only 2 buffers: when the write of a frame is over on buffer 1, it will not be able to switch to buffer 2 because the read is happening. Same for the read.

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

@watari,

Thank you for giving me the VDMA references. I enjoy reading them.

I can barely achieve the frequency doubling by using only one buffer. But  I want to use double buffers(say buffer1, buffer2) so that read and write will never interfere with each other.
To do so, I need to read each buffer with one repeat so that

write   buffer2-------------->buffer1------------->buffer2---------------->buffer1

read    buffer2->buffer2->buffer1->buffer1->buffer2->buffer2->buffer1->buffer1

Is there any simple way to implement it?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

write buffer1-------------->buffer2------------->buffer1---------------->buffer2

read buffer2->buffer2->buffer1->buffer1->buffer2->buffer2->buffer1->buffer1
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

Hi @dr.elichan 

Would you try gen-lock function on VDMA ?

Refer the following URL, if you want to know details about gen-lock.

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/axi_vdma/v6_2/pg020_axi_vdma.pdf#page=39

Best regards,

Highlighted

Hi @dr.elichan 

@watari is right. If you select the correct genlock configuration for the AXI VDMA then the read interface can simply repeat the last frame so you can double the frame rate. The following topic might give you some information:

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Video-and-Audio/FPS-converter/m-p/1006283/highlight/true#M26947

However, one thing you need to be aware is that using this method you might not have good visual result (because you are only repeating frames). And you might want to consider building a motion compensation block. There was a discussion about this:
https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Video-and-Audio/video-frame-rate-conversion-motion-compensation-e-t-c/td-p/1116786

Regards

Florent
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you to @florentw and @watari . I now understand that genlock is the most promising approach. However, I still have some difficulties to understand exactly what genlock mechanism is doing.

Assuming a double buffer situation with (buffer1 and buffer2)  and with genlock enabled 

will vdma keep repeatingly reading buffer2 if buffer1 is still being written?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @dr.elichan 

It will not work with only 2 buffers. You need to use at least 3 buffers so you have one buffer to switch from/to.

If you work with only 2 buffers: when the write of a frame is over on buffer 1, it will not be able to switch to buffer 2 because the read is happening. Same for the read.

Florent

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

s2mm (dynamic genlock master) ----> mm2s(dynamic genlock slave)

Assuming that it is in a triple buffer mode, is it correct to assume that

1) s2mm write will jump to write the next buffer if  the ad-hoc buffer is currently read by mm2s

2) mm2s read will jump to reading the next buffer if the ad-hoc  buffer  is currently written by s2mm.

3) irrespective of whatever writing speed or reading speed, mm2s  will be guaranteed to be able to read some data successfully from one of the three buffers. (irrespective of how choppy the video output will be)

0 Kudos
Highlighted

HI @dr.elichan 

Yes this is correct

Florent
0 Kudos