Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
YS
Visitor
Visitor

Information about video processing

Jump to solution

I am new to developing applications with FPGA. That's why I want to get ideas from experienced people.

I will develop a video processing system for use in security cameras (PTZ). Basically, I aim to do the following operations.
- Video enhancement (brightness, contrast, etc.)
- Object tracking
- Electronic video stabilization (EIS)
- On-Screen Display (OSD)
- Video encoding (H264 / H265 optional)
- Encoded video stream with Ethernet (UDP / TCP - RTSP - Unicast / Multicast)

Currently, there is a developer kit (Alinx AX7020) which is zynq7020.
I have always done similar applications with OpenCV on desktop computers before.
How do you recommend me to do these operations? What should I follow, what should I search? It would be right to do it with Vivado HLS or Linux. Or what kind of way is generally preferred for such applications.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Nikhil_Thapa
Explorer
Explorer

Hi @YS ,

But I am unsure about HLS or linux

This will be based on your design requirements. I think you might require both of them.

Here, you have to understand that HLS is high level synthesis, which is used for creating custom IP. Whenever you want to create your own custom IP for your design, mostly, you will need Vivado HLS. 

On the other hand, Linux is Operating System, like Windows. If you prefer to use Windows, it's okay so far.

There are some Tools, such as, Petalinux, Yocto, QEMU etc..., which are only supported in Linux environment. Mostly, Xilinx references are designed to run on a Linux Platform. And there are other many things you can do with Linux.

This does not mean Windows is nothing. Windows environment also supports but only in limit. You might get glitches while you do design works. You can install and run Vivado IDE, Vivado HLS & Vitis. You can also run a Linux virtual machine using the VirtualBox application to create Linux environment under Windows environment. 

However, in my view, I highly recommend you to go with Linux.

Thanks and Regards,

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Nikhil_Thapa
Explorer
Explorer

Hi @YS ,

If your are really new to start FPGA development, you have to go through lot of things in manner. Mostly, you have to follow and study reference documents & designs and consult with experts.

For developing video processing system, you must first have gone through following 

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Video-and-Audio/Xilinx-Video-Series/td-p/849583 

This is VERY VERY useful for those who are FPGA video beginners. You must first follow them seriously.

On the contrary, Video Encoding/Decoding and Object Tracking are separate thing. You have to get familiarized with VCU TRD and DPU.

In my view, I highly recommend you to first follow the video beginner series and then come to other things.

Thanks and Regards

YS
Visitor
Visitor

Hi,

Thank you for your answer. I know the link you sent. I am currently following them and learning.
But I am unsure about HLS or linux. I wanted to get advice from people who have done similar practices before.

0 Kudos
Nikhil_Thapa
Explorer
Explorer

Hi @YS ,

But I am unsure about HLS or linux

This will be based on your design requirements. I think you might require both of them.

Here, you have to understand that HLS is high level synthesis, which is used for creating custom IP. Whenever you want to create your own custom IP for your design, mostly, you will need Vivado HLS. 

On the other hand, Linux is Operating System, like Windows. If you prefer to use Windows, it's okay so far.

There are some Tools, such as, Petalinux, Yocto, QEMU etc..., which are only supported in Linux environment. Mostly, Xilinx references are designed to run on a Linux Platform. And there are other many things you can do with Linux.

This does not mean Windows is nothing. Windows environment also supports but only in limit. You might get glitches while you do design works. You can install and run Vivado IDE, Vivado HLS & Vitis. You can also run a Linux virtual machine using the VirtualBox application to create Linux environment under Windows environment. 

However, in my view, I highly recommend you to go with Linux.

Thanks and Regards,

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
YS
Visitor
Visitor

Thank you very much,

Thank you very much

I consulted a lot of people and they all recommended me to continue with Linux (Petalinux).

As you said, I am currently working with ubuntu installed in the virtual machine. I will run petalinux in the FPGA. Now I read application notes, reference documents for petalinux and proceed with sample applications.

0 Kudos
Nikhil_Thapa
Explorer
Explorer

Hi @YS ,

You can now close the thread by "Accepting a Solution".

If you find the post/reply useful, do not forget to give Kudo or Share.

Thanks and Regards,