Adventurer
Adventurer

Selecting buffer sizes of VDMA IP core

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have a system consists of

video resolution 800x600 and 50 fps. 

screen resolution 1280x1024 and 60 fps. 

What is minimum value of frame buffer number that i need? how to calculate?

I think, 2 frame buffers sufficient, is it right?

What is minimum value of line buffer number that i need? how to calculate?

I think, in 1024 depth for S2MM and 1024 for MM2S, is it right?

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Hi @berker_atel 

[Florent] - Please go through my Video Series 24: Using the AXI VDMA in Triple Buffer Mode as this is something I am covering

[Florent] - It really depends on your use case. You need to make sure you have enough frame buffers so that all the read/write interface can access one without blocking each other. Basic case for a pass-through design is 3 frame buffers. This way the read and write interface can work simultaneously on 1 frame buffer. And when the first interface complete its task, it can move to the 3rd frame buffer and does not have to wait on the other interface.

If you want to do processing from the PS in a path-through I would say that you need more. You have to think about how the interfaces will act

[Florent] - There no good answer to this. This is a tradeoff between perfomance and ressource utilization. The default (512) works usually well

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted

Hi @berker_atel 

[Florent] - Please go through my Video Series 24: Using the AXI VDMA in Triple Buffer Mode as this is something I am covering

[Florent] - It really depends on your use case. You need to make sure you have enough frame buffers so that all the read/write interface can access one without blocking each other. Basic case for a pass-through design is 3 frame buffers. This way the read and write interface can work simultaneously on 1 frame buffer. And when the first interface complete its task, it can move to the 3rd frame buffer and does not have to wait on the other interface.

If you want to do processing from the PS in a path-through I would say that you need more. You have to think about how the interfaces will act

[Florent] - There no good answer to this. This is a tradeoff between perfomance and ressource utilization. The default (512) works usually well

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**

View solution in original post

0 Kudos