cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Simple Question on VDMA genlock behaviour?

Jump to solution

I have a simple question on VDMA genlock behavior. Can anyone help me by giving me a simple answer on these.

Thank in advance.

Scenario 1:

HDMI IN -> (S_AXIS_S2MM) VDMA0 (M_AXIS_MM2S) -> HDMA OUT

Am I right to say that

a) S_AXIS_S2MM will skip frame to keep up with the HDMI IN

b) M_AXIS_MM2S will not skip frame

thus if HDMI IN is turned off suddenly, M_AXIS_MM2S will keep sending frame(or probably the same frame) from buffer to HDMI OUT without dropping any frame.

Scenario 2:

HDMI IN -> (M_AXIS_S2MM) VDMA0 (S_AXIS_MM2S) -> HDMA OUT

Am I right to say that

a) M_AXIS_S2MM will not skip frame while reading from HDMI IN.

b) Will S_AXIS_MM2S skip frame if HDMI IN is off?

thus if HDMI IN is turned off suddenly, will M_AXIS_MM2S manage to read a blank frame from HDMI in? 

if it can read a blank frame, am I right to say that S_AXIS_MM2S will pass the same blank frame to HDMI OUT?

if it cannot read a blank frame, am I right to say that S_AXIS_MM2S will wait forever and thus there is nothing passing to HDMI OUT?

Scenario 3:

HDMI IN -> (M_AXIS_S2MM) VDMA0 (M_AXIS_MM2S) -> HDMA OUT

is it allowed?

Scenario 4:

HDMI IN -> (S_AXIS_S2MM) VDMA0 (S_AXIS_MM2S) -> HDMA OUT

is it allowed?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

HI @dr.elichan 

Scenario 1:

Am I right to say that

thus if HDMI IN is turned off suddenly, M_AXIS_MM2S will keep sending frame(or probably the same frame) from buffer to HDMI OUT without dropping any frame.

Florent - I cannot reply to that. It depends on your genlock configuration. With some genlock configuration (S2MM -> Dynamic master and MM2S -> Dynamic slave), yes this is possible. Please go through the Genelock Synchronization section of the PG020. There is enough details for you to understand the genlock configuration.

Scenario 2:

Am I right to say that

thus if HDMI IN is turned off suddenly, will M_AXIS_MM2S manage to read a blank frame from HDMI in? 

if it can read a blank frame, am I right to say that S_AXIS_MM2S will pass the same blank frame to HDMI OUT?

if it cannot read a blank frame, am I right to say that S_AXIS_MM2S will wait forever and thus there is nothing passing to HDMI OUT?

Florent - Again this depends on the Genlock settings. 

Scenario 3:

is it allowed?

Florent - I do not understand. You will not have a M_AXIS_S2MM interface on the VDMA. The stream is coming in, thus this is a AXI4-Stream slave interface

Scenario 4:

is it allowed?

Florent - Same. I do not understand. You will not have a S_AXIS_MM2S interface on the VDMA. The stream is coming out, thus this is a AXI4-Stream Master interface

Please went through the PG020 to understand the AXI VDMA

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Highlighted

HI @dr.elichan 

Scenario 1:

Am I right to say that

Florent - I cannot reply to that. It depends on your genlock configuration. With some genlock configuration (S2MM -> Dynamic master and MM2S -> Dynamic slave), yes this is possible. Please go through the Genelock Synchronization section of the PG020. There is enough details for you to understand the genlock configuration.

Scenario 2:

Am I right to say that

Florent - Again this depends on the Genlock settings. 

Scenario 3:

is it allowed?

Florent - I do not understand. You will not have a M_AXIS_S2MM interface on the VDMA. The stream is coming in, thus this is a AXI4-Stream slave interface

Scenario 4:

is it allowed?

Florent - Same. I do not understand. You will not have a S_AXIS_MM2S interface on the VDMA. The stream is coming out, thus this is a AXI4-Stream Master interface

Please went through the PG020 to understand the AXI VDMA

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**

View solution in original post