Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hitpmpm@163.com
Participant
Participant

Some concepts in image processing

Jump to solution
1.How to understand the definition of real-time in image processing, how many fps is the frame rate to be real-time? Where are the specific definitions? 2.I am doing moving target detection, and detecting the video data collected by the camera. The display can display the result correctly. Is this called real time? 3.The resolution of my monitor is 1080*720/60hz. How should I calculate my processing frame rate? 4.How is the speedup in image processing defined? Is the processing speed of zynq compared with arm, or is it compared with the experimental results on a PC? thanks!
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
florentw

Hi hitpmpm@163.com ,

hitpmpm@163.com wrote:
1.How to understand the definition of real-time in image processing, how many fps is the frame rate to be real-time? Where are the specific definitions?
[Florent] - Real time video processing means that you are doing your video processing on the fly so you need to have the output as fast as the input. I does not really depends on the FPS.

But the more frame you can process per second, the more information you can collect. So the higher FPS you can have, the best it is. It will depend on the requiremnt of your application.

Also note that the human high cannot really detect changes below 25 FPS, which is what is commonly used for animated movies. So if you go below 25 FPS, your video won't seems continuous.

Then you also might want to have as little latency as possible.

2.I am doing moving target detection, and detecting the video data collected by the camera. The display can display the result correctly. Is this called real time?
[Florent] - If the result is sent at the same frequency than the input, yes this is real time processing.

3.The resolution of my monitor is 1080*720/60hz. How should I calculate my processing frame rate?
[Florent] -  It will be the output of your design. How many FPS can you process?

4.How is the speedup in image processing defined? Is the processing speed of zynq compared with arm, or is it compared with the experimental results on a PC? thanks!

[Florent] - It depends on what is your benchmark. If you want to speed up image processing from a PC with a FPGA you will compare before/after using the FPGA

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**

View solution in original post

5 Replies
florentw

Hi hitpmpm@163.com ,

hitpmpm@163.com wrote:
1.How to understand the definition of real-time in image processing, how many fps is the frame rate to be real-time? Where are the specific definitions?
[Florent] - Real time video processing means that you are doing your video processing on the fly so you need to have the output as fast as the input. I does not really depends on the FPS.

But the more frame you can process per second, the more information you can collect. So the higher FPS you can have, the best it is. It will depend on the requiremnt of your application.

Also note that the human high cannot really detect changes below 25 FPS, which is what is commonly used for animated movies. So if you go below 25 FPS, your video won't seems continuous.

Then you also might want to have as little latency as possible.

2.I am doing moving target detection, and detecting the video data collected by the camera. The display can display the result correctly. Is this called real time?
[Florent] - If the result is sent at the same frequency than the input, yes this is real time processing.

3.The resolution of my monitor is 1080*720/60hz. How should I calculate my processing frame rate?
[Florent] -  It will be the output of your design. How many FPS can you process?

4.How is the speedup in image processing defined? Is the processing speed of zynq compared with arm, or is it compared with the experimental results on a PC? thanks!

[Florent] - It depends on what is your benchmark. If you want to speed up image processing from a PC with a FPGA you will compare before/after using the FPGA

Florent

View solution in original post

florentw

Hi hitpmpm@163.com 

Is everything clear for you on this topic?

If your question is answered or your issue is solved, please kindly mark the response which helped as solution (click on "Accept as solution" button below the reply)

If this is not solved/answered, please reply in the topic giving more information on your current status.

Thanks and Regards,

Florent
0 Kudos
hitpmpm@163.com
Participant
Participant

thanks you sir!

0 Kudos
hitpmpm@163.com
Participant
Participant

Hello, sir. I want to know where there is a definition of real-time 25fps, I am writing a thesis, I don’t know which book or paper to quote.

0 Kudos
florentw

HI hitpmpm@163.com 

I do not have any document. I believe looking for bibliograpy is part of the thesis wok

Florent
0 Kudos