cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Video-In to AXI with Omnivision image sensor

I am working with an Omnivision sensor on a Zedboard, and the sensor outputs active video, vsync and data[9:0] signals. The video-in axi core requires one of these 3 sets of signals to work (pg044 page 5):

vsync, hsync, active video

vblank, hblank, active video

vsync, hsync, vblank, hblank, active video

How can this be accomplished since I will always be missing one of the signals? The only other option I have with the sensor is that I can change the active video signal to be hsync instead, but I don't think that helps me much. With previous sensors I had the option of converting vsync to vblank, and then I just inverted the active video signal to create an hblank, and that gave me the 3 needed signals, but I cannot get a vblank output from this particular sensor to do the same thing. The active video portion of the signal should always be constant, but in my experience with Omnivison, the blanking interval can be variable even if you tell it not to be, so I don't think I can rely on that. Maybe I could create a small IP core that creates an hsync signal after the active video period is over?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Video-In to AXI with Omnivision image sensor

Hi,

There is a video timing controller IP which can be used to generate the necessary timing signals vsync, hsync, vblank, hblank. Check if you can use this - http://www.xilinx.com/products/intellectual-property/ef-di-vid-timing.html

User the IP catalog to find this IP.

Thanks,
Anirudh

PS: Please MARK this as an answer in case it helped resolve your query.Give kudos in case the post guided you to a solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

You have the option to select what singals you have to detect and generate. Check the screenshot below from the VTC IP.

vtc.PNG

Thanks,
Anirudh

PS: Please MARK this as an answer in case it helped resolve your query.Give kudos in case the post guided you to a solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Yes but this would bring the video data out of phase with the sync signals (needed for the video in to axi stream core) if they were regenerated. How can that be accounted for?

Also, if I'm reading this correctly, the VTC document says that only active video and hsync or hblank are required, no vertical info is needed... but how does it know the start of a frame then?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Any idea how to keep the video data and sync signals in phase when using regenerated sync signals?
0 Kudos
Visitor
Visitor

Hi,

Were you able to figure this out? I'm a facing a very similar issue.

0 Kudos