UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

Chroma Resampler / Edge effect

Jump to solution

Hi,

I receive 3G SDI video, and convert it to RGB.

I use video to AXI 4 -> Chroma Resampler 422 to 444 -> YCbCr to RGB -> axi4 to video -> screen

Video is in black and white. But i add logo inscrustation in color.

When color change i have 2 pixels in other color (edge effect).

I attach a screenshot of signals in and out of chroma resampler.

We can see that it needs 2 clock cycles to out the good color value.

Anyone knows how to delete this effect?

Thanks

Tags (1)
Capture.JPG
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Historian
Historian

Re: Chroma Resampler / Edge effect

Jump to solution

What do you expect?

You are asking the tool to generate data to fill in the missing chroma values. The "Chroma Resampler" is clearly doing some kind of interpolation on the chroma channel in order to do this. This is a "feature" of the resampler - in a natural image this interpolation probably gives the best results.

However, if you want the "missing" chroma samples to be (for example) the chroma to the left, then just write a module that does this - replicate the existing chroma values into the missing ones.

I don't know the Chroma Resampler IP - maybe you can ask it to do simple replication rather than interpolation, but if not then you need to write the module yourself...

Avrum

4 Replies
Historian
Historian

Jump to solution

What do you expect?

You are asking the tool to generate data to fill in the missing chroma values. The "Chroma Resampler" is clearly doing some kind of interpolation on the chroma channel in order to do this. This is a "feature" of the resampler - in a natural image this interpolation probably gives the best results.

However, if you want the "missing" chroma samples to be (for example) the chroma to the left, then just write a module that does this - replicate the existing chroma values into the missing ones.

I don't know the Chroma Resampler IP - maybe you can ask it to do simple replication rather than interpolation, but if not then you need to write the module yourself...

Avrum

Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

@avrumw

I would like proper edge. For example, from black to red, without 2 green pixels between red and black.

Maybe it is impossible...

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

HI @pgrangeray,

As mentioned by @avrumw, you need to do your own IP. The Chroma Resampler IP is only a matrix. It does not have any notion of border, even more when the border are inside the image

Your case is a really complicated case as the boarder as inside the frame. It is not doable directly with the Chroma Resampler IP.

You might be able to do a block that find issues after the choma ressampler (if it find a boarder between BW and color then it redo the border). But I am not even sure that would give good result and this might use some logic ressources

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Hi @florentw,

Ok, so it's more complicated than expected!

I will think about something, i don't know what but...

Thanks for all guys!

0 Kudos