UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Participant jorge_2015
Participant

Display Port to HDMI adapters

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have a zynqmp board with display port but when I try to connect it using a dp-to-hdmi adapter to my monitor no signal is arriving. 

From https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/67462.html I've seen that:

DP-to-HDMI adapters currently do not work out of the box, and even in the future there will likely only be a subset of adapters that might work

Before buying a new monitor with display port connection I would like to now, which are the subset of adapters that might work ,dp-to-dvi? dp-to-hdmi? dp-to-vga? If is does not work out of the box, which changes I have to make?

Now, if a buy a monitor I have seen from here, http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/Zynq%20UltraScale%20MPSoC%20Base%20TRD%202017.4 that there is a list with compatible devices and the GeChic On-Lap1303H has caught my attention. Someone can tell me if the 1303I version (it has touch screen) is a compatible device and when you touch the screen works?

Thank you very much,

Jorge
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar watari
Scholar

Re: Display Port to HDMI adapters

Jump to solution

Hi @jorge_2015

Sorry for my late reply.

>I have read the UG1085 Chapter 33 about display port and I have seen that it is based on the VESA DisplayPort V.12a source-only specification but I do not see anything about the dual mode DP++.

"DP++" should be implemented DP Tx logical module, HDMI Tx logical module, signal switcher and high speed transmitter on FPGA and and output suitable format (DP packet or HDMI stream) at demand by result of EDID at AUX by software.

In this case, I guess, it seems that MPSoC has a potential to support DP++. But no one releases DP++ design yet.

So, if you try to implement DP++ on MPSoC, it might be fine. But it is little difficult.

> So if I use an active DP-to-HDMI adapter there would be no problem and I will be able to see the signal right?

Yes. An active DP-to-HDMI adapter behaves protocol converter and DC characteristic converter.

Best regards,

9 Replies
Scholar watari
Scholar

Jump to solution

@jorge_2015

I mention about first question.

First of all, I mention about does DP-to-HDMI adapter support HDMI output.

It depends on implemented IC on DP-to-HDMI adapter and its protocol.

# Background
Video data on DisplayPort is composed of packet data.
DisplayPort has two type of mode.
One is single mode (well known "DisplayPort") and the other is dual mode (well know "Dual-Mode DisplayPort or DP++").
And DP++ is composed of packet data and stream data. (not AIX4Stream)
Also, video data on HDMI is composed of stream data.

# Explanation
## Single mode
It only handles DP packet data. So, IC needs to transfer signal protocol from packet data to stream data. (Protocol and electrical characteristics converter.)

## Dual mode
It handles DP packet data and video stream data. It doesn't need to transfer signal protocol. only convert electrical characteristics from DP to TMDS (HDMI).

# Answer about your question

Most DP-to-HDMI adapters are passive type and not active type. It means that they only convert electrical characteristics from DP to TMDS.
So, video data has only packet data, no one can do it.
If source device, like MPSoC and video card support DP++, you can use DP-to-HDMI adapter.
It it difficult to support DP signal on HDMI port at monitor.

Best regards,

Participant jorge_2015
Participant

Jump to solution

Hi @watari,

Thank you for the information you give me, but I am a little bit confused about some things.

I have read the UG1085 Chapter 33 about display port and I have seen that it is based on the VESA DisplayPort V.12a source-only specification but I do not see anything about the dual mode DP++.

Where can I see that the display port is DP++? Or I need to add an ip in the fpga logic?

So if I use an active DP-to-HDMI adapter there would be no problem and I will be able to see the signal right?

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Scholar watari
Scholar

Jump to solution

Hi @jorge_2015

Sorry for my late reply.

>I have read the UG1085 Chapter 33 about display port and I have seen that it is based on the VESA DisplayPort V.12a source-only specification but I do not see anything about the dual mode DP++.

"DP++" should be implemented DP Tx logical module, HDMI Tx logical module, signal switcher and high speed transmitter on FPGA and and output suitable format (DP packet or HDMI stream) at demand by result of EDID at AUX by software.

In this case, I guess, it seems that MPSoC has a potential to support DP++. But no one releases DP++ design yet.

So, if you try to implement DP++ on MPSoC, it might be fine. But it is little difficult.

> So if I use an active DP-to-HDMI adapter there would be no problem and I will be able to see the signal right?

Yes. An active DP-to-HDMI adapter behaves protocol converter and DC characteristic converter.

Best regards,

Jump to solution

Hi @jorge_2015,

If everything is clear for you, please kindly mark @watari's replie as accepted solution to close the topic.

Regards,

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos
Participant jorge_2015
Participant

Jump to solution

I have tried with three different DP to HDMI active adapters and none worked for me.

I have finished buying a new monitor. 

Thank you for information above we can close this topic.

Jorge

Jump to solution

Hi @jorge_2015,

To close the topic, find the best reply and mark it as accepted solution.

You can also give kudos to @watari to thanks him for his help.

Regards,

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

do you have solved this problem? I have the same problem  when I try to connect it using a dp-to-hdmi adapter to my monitor,but  no signal . 

0 Kudos
Scholar watari
Scholar

Jump to solution

@zengzxxilinx

Would you create new post, if your Display Port to HDMI adapter is different in this post ?

I will reply it, if possible.

Best regards,

Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution
yes, i will create a new post right now! i think the adapter is different
0 Kudos