UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer sabiya
Observer

FPS converter

Jump to solution

Hi all, 

I want to converter any video on 60fps. I tried video AXI clock frequency but it is custom IP already fixed.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: FPS converter

Jump to solution

HI @sabiya,

Thank you for the added information. It is still not clear what your requirements are, but I will try to answer openly enough to cover your use-case.

There are several ways to convert frame rates using Xilinx IP. These all involve dropping or repeating frames. Depending on your use-case this may or may not be an issue.

EX 1. 60fps -> 30fps

Converting from 60fps to 30 fps will drop every other frame. Depending on the video source there may not be any visible issues. 

EX 2. 60fps -> 24fps 

Converting from 60fps to 24fps will drop every other frame as well as additional frames, (the number can vary depending on how you have the system setup). This has a much higher possibility of looking choppy, but again, this is use-case dependent. 

EX3. 30fps -> 60fps

Converting from 30 fps to 60 fps will repeat every frame once.

You will need to figure out what is and what is not suitable for your application.

Moving on to how. There are 3 IPs with methods of doing this:

• VPSS
  • Video Frame Buffer Read and Video Frame Buffer Write
  • VDMA

I will only touch on the Frame Buffers as that is specific to your question. For more information on the VPSS or VDMA, take a look at their product guides.

Frame Buffers: From the product guide (PG278) - 

• Video Frame Buffer Read and Video Frame Buffer Write cores support single channel
read or single channel write, but never combined. The AXI VDMA supports combined
read and write channels in one IP.
• Because of the previous point, Video Frame Buffer Read and Video Frame Buffer Write
cores do not use Genlock Synchronization (prevents reading and writing from and to
one buffer). You should implement this in software.

Genlock Synchronization is the method used to either repeat frames (for the 30->60fps case) or to drop frames (60->30fps case)

As this states, Genlock Synchronization is not taken care of in hardware. You will need to implement software for your design to make sure that the frame buffer read does not access the frame which the frame buffer write is currently operating on in memory.  

Depending on your application and software ability using the VPSS or VDMA may be an easier option for you. See page 24 of PG278 for more information on VDMA vs the Video Frame Buffers.

Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

Xilinx Video Design Hub
0 Kudos
18 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi @sabiya 

Can you give more information about your system? What is your input, why do you have this requirement?

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos
Observer sabiya
Observer

Jump to solution

In my 3Dproject i want anyvideo Frame rate converter to 60fps using IP blocks on Vivado.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

HI @sabiya 

Did you consider using the AXI VDMA? It can do frame rate conversion as it can repeat or skip frames

Florent
0 Kudos
Observer sabiya
Observer

Jump to solution

How can it give exact 60fps?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @sabiya 

You cannot give exact 60 fps. The downstream IP has to drive this.

It will generate data depending on the downstream IP.

I am still not clear about your system, if you are not giving usefull information I cannot help you more than that.

Please take some time to really explain your system. Mayvbe a screenshot of you block design can be usefull

Florent
0 Kudos
Observer sabiya
Observer

Jump to solution

In Video processing system i want frame rate as 60fps output.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Then just do....

This is not a usefull information.

As mentioned previously, if you are in the AXI4-Stream interface, there is no frame rate because you are not running on the video clock. So again you need to give more information.

On way to have 60 fps:

Use a VDMA + AXI4S to Video out + VTC (configured for a resolution at 60 FPS)

Florent
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Buffer your input then re-send it at 60 fps. Depending on your input frequency you will have to discard frames or repeat/ interpolate

0 Kudos
Observer sabiya
Observer

Jump to solution

how to set 60fps?

0 Kudos
Scholar dgisselq
Scholar

Jump to solution

@sabiya,

Your question doesn't make sense.  Let me try to help this discussion by turning the discussion around and asking you some questions.

In your design where you want to guarantee 60 FPS, do you have another Video coming into the design other than the 60FPS video you wish to create, or are you only intending to create a single 60 FPS video stream  from scratch?

The timing associated with generating a 60FPS video stream is quite variable, and very much depends upon your screen resolution.  800x600 pixel timing at 60FPS is very different from 1920x1080 timing.  Do you have a screen resolution in mind you wish to achieve?

When you say you want a 60FPS video stream, how close to 60FPS does it need to be?  Is 60.001 FPS good enough?  This would lead to questions about how good clocks need to be, and whether or not you might need special hardware to generate the outgoing pixel clock.

Dan

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @sabiya,

Are you still working on this?

If so, can you provide us with some more information as @dgisselq has requested?

Thanks and Regards,

Xilinx Video Design Hub
0 Kudos
Observer sabiya
Observer

Jump to solution

Hi,

My query is test pattern generator is my input and video frame buffer (frame rate conversion).

For this i tried HDMI transmitter subsystem example in that there is no frame buffers so i want to add frame buffers. I want below picture ip blocks on vivado 2018.3 and also i need explanation for Frame rate conversion using video frame buffer.

Thanks.

Screenshot from 2019-08-07 12-35-41.png
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

HI @sabiya,

Thank you for the added information. It is still not clear what your requirements are, but I will try to answer openly enough to cover your use-case.

There are several ways to convert frame rates using Xilinx IP. These all involve dropping or repeating frames. Depending on your use-case this may or may not be an issue.

EX 1. 60fps -> 30fps

Converting from 60fps to 30 fps will drop every other frame. Depending on the video source there may not be any visible issues. 

EX 2. 60fps -> 24fps 

Converting from 60fps to 24fps will drop every other frame as well as additional frames, (the number can vary depending on how you have the system setup). This has a much higher possibility of looking choppy, but again, this is use-case dependent. 

EX3. 30fps -> 60fps

Converting from 30 fps to 60 fps will repeat every frame once.

You will need to figure out what is and what is not suitable for your application.

Moving on to how. There are 3 IPs with methods of doing this:

• VPSS
  • Video Frame Buffer Read and Video Frame Buffer Write
  • VDMA

I will only touch on the Frame Buffers as that is specific to your question. For more information on the VPSS or VDMA, take a look at their product guides.

Frame Buffers: From the product guide (PG278) - 

• Video Frame Buffer Read and Video Frame Buffer Write cores support single channel
read or single channel write, but never combined. The AXI VDMA supports combined
read and write channels in one IP.
• Because of the previous point, Video Frame Buffer Read and Video Frame Buffer Write
cores do not use Genlock Synchronization (prevents reading and writing from and to
one buffer). You should implement this in software.

Genlock Synchronization is the method used to either repeat frames (for the 30->60fps case) or to drop frames (60->30fps case)

As this states, Genlock Synchronization is not taken care of in hardware. You will need to implement software for your design to make sure that the frame buffer read does not access the frame which the frame buffer write is currently operating on in memory.  

Depending on your application and software ability using the VPSS or VDMA may be an easier option for you. See page 24 of PG278 for more information on VDMA vs the Video Frame Buffers.

Xilinx Video Design Hub
0 Kudos
Observer sabiya
Observer

Jump to solution

Thank you very much.

I implemented VPSS (video processing subsystem full fleged)  ip blocks on zcu102.

In vdma frame rate conversion happens.

So, in this I need frame rate conversion (24fps to 60fps).

Tags (1)
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @sabiya,

No problem, I am happy to help.

Do you have any specific questions? Without any questions, I am not sure what information you are looking for.

Xilinx Video Design Hub
0 Kudos
Observer sabiya
Observer

Jump to solution

My question is how fps converted from 24fps to 60fps in vpss full fledged?

0 Kudos
Observer sabiya
Observer

Jump to solution

There is no any solution without genlock syncronization i need to change frame rate in ip blocks only through vpss and vdma.

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Observer sabiya
Observer

Jump to solution

Below picture is VPSS ip blocks. Here i want my input is 24fps output as 60fps. How can i set?

Thanks

Tags (1)
Screenshot from 2019-08-10 10-39-47.png
0 Kudos