UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

HDMI 2.0 reference design timing violation

Jump to solution

Hello,

We just ordered a kintex 7 development board, we must implement an HDMI TX/RX system an it's on our plans

to aquire the HDMI ip.

While I'm waiting for the EVB to arrive i started looking at XAPP1287

Synthesizing with Vivado 2016.4 i got HOLD violations.

EG:

slack : -0.10   level : 1  fanout : 2 

from :  hdmi_example_kc705_i/v_hdmi_tx_ss_0/U0/v_hdmi_tx/inst/SYS_INST/CORE_INST/CH1_INST/VID_INST/lclk_fifo_dout_del_reg[42]/C 

to : hdmi_example_kc705_i/v_hdmi_tx_ss_0/U0/v_hdmi_tx/inst/SYS_INST/CORE_INST/CH1_INST/VID_INST/lclk_lnk_reg[dat][1][2]/D  

This is a very big concern because, before allowing the purchase of the IP, I must be certain of the performance  and the portability on other targets.

I performed the implementation without modifying anything, so is there any advice I can get form xilinx about the HDMI IP core ?

Is a minimum design support included in the license fee in case we buy it?

Marco

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: HDMI 2.0 reference design timing violation

Jump to solution

Hi @marcoventurini,

For 2016.4, the xapps for HDMI have been replaced by the example design integrated inside vivado.

Please create right click on the IP and select open example design. If your project is on kc705, you will have the example project for this board and it should not have any timing issue.

Regards,

Florent

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
8 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi @marcoventurini,

For 2016.4, the xapps for HDMI have been replaced by the example design integrated inside vivado.

Please create right click on the IP and select open example design. If your project is on kc705, you will have the example project for this board and it should not have any timing issue.

Regards,

Florent

Florent
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Marco,

I'm glad you have posted this, I was beginning to think it was just me, I have been working on the exact same problem but using the example design (not XAPP1287) and I too am getting a hold violation.

If i build without HDCP enabled, i get a single net with a WHS of ~-0.025ns. If I build with HDCP enabled (all generated as example design and nothing else done to it) I get 11 nets with a WHS of -0.1ns.

I too would love to know what is going wrong. Both designs built under Linux (Ubuntu 16.04) and with Vivado 2016.4.

Timing Summary attached.

Regards

Simon

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

HI @simdav_dlp

Can you please send  a snapshot of your HDMI RXSS config GUI or the the xci file itself. so we can check the example design timing performance on KC705 at our end.

Thanks
Bharath
--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------
Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided addresses your query/concern.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
--------------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution
Thanks for highlighting this. As discussed, use the example design from the IP rather than porting the XAPP. I hope you have selected KC705 board and not changed anything in the core apart from default XAPP XCI settings.

On the support, In case you do not have Service Request access then you would definitely be helped out with such issues here. However please post the XCI file and we will check and get back.
Thanks,
Anirudh

PS: Please MARK this as an answer in case it helped resolve your query.Give kudos in case the post guided you to a solution.
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

With the example design I don't get violations, thanks a lot.

Maybe you should point out not to use it with recent Vivado versions.

I will try to add also HDCP now,

Thanks Again,

Marco

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

XCI File attached as requested

0 Kudos
Visitor nikolamkg
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hello,

I have been trying to use HDMI TX-only design example in Vivado 2018.1 on ZCU102 evaluation kit. I create design from HDMI TX component, I only change from pass-through topology to TX-only, other parameters are left with their initial values, but after running synthesis I get timing violations for a lot of paths. I have attached .rpx and .txt timing reports. I have been stuck with this problem for several days now, and it seems no one reports the same problem.

Thanks for reply.

Regards

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

HI @nikolamkg

Our Community Help has a tip that might help you : Tip: If the message is older than 6-12 months, please post a new message rather than adding to the existing thread. Your inquiry will have a better chance of being picked up by an expert if it is a new topic.

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/help/faqpage/faq-category-id/posting#posting

I would suggest you create a new topic on the appropriate board

Florent
0 Kudos