UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

HDMI troubleshooting questions

Jump to solution

I have an HDMI design that I am troubleshooting working with some displays and not others and I was hoping somebody could give me some tips or point me to a good resource.

I am trying to get 4K 60Hz HDMI 2.0 working and I have a TV that I plug into and everything works fine.   The EDID reads fine and the DDC readsback that the display is HDMI 2.0 compatible and video works.   But I have another display (lilliput A12) that will not work.

One issue I know I have with my hardware is that I do not have a level translator between the FPGA DDC pins and the HDMI connection, so the DDC levels are 3.3V logic instead of 5V, but the EDID of the lilliput seems to read just fine which makes me think things are ok.

The interesting thing is that when reading the EDID device address 0x50 the lilliuput ACKs, but when trying to read if the monitor is HDMI 2.0 capable (also reading device address 0x50) the Lilliput NACKs.   This is confusing to me.   So I am guessing because I cannot read HDMI 2.0 capability and I cannot set scrambling settings the monitor will not work at 4K 60Hz.

Does anybody know of a good resource for getting to know all HDMI requirements? 

Any help here is appreciated.   

Thanks

Tim

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: HDMI troubleshooting questions

Jump to solution

@florentw,

Since I am not certain on the solution at this point I will Mark this post as the solution.  

Thanks.  

Tim

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

You can find the Board Design Guidelines for HDMI in PG230.  You must have a Level Shifter in order to be HDMI Compliant, and it is likely this is the reason you are not seeing consistent results.  The higher the data rate the more important the Level Shifter is for the Data lines.  But it is also important for the DDC as you pointed out, if you can't negotiate the link it can cause issues as well.  You might be able to force a resolution if the problem is only with the DDC, but since you are trying to output at 4Kp60, it is likely to also be an issue on the data lines as well.

The recommended Level Shifter is the Texas Instruments SN65DP159 for HDMI 2.0, as noted in PG230.

Chris
Video Design Hub | Embedded SW Support

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to Reply, Kudo, and Accept as Solution.
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

@chrisar,

Thanks for the reply.   I am using the DP159 as a tmds level shifter and it is working great for that.   I think the only problem seems to be the DDC.   Do you recommend using the DP159 as both the TMDS and DDC level shifters?

Tim

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Yes, you should pass the DDC lines through the Ti DP159 as well.  You can look at the ZCU102 Schematic which can be found on the ZCU102 Design Hub.

You should also make sure that you are using Ti DP159 production silicon (not ES).  See AR70515 (Should be available in the next 24 hours.)

Chris
Video Design Hub | Embedded SW Support

Don’t forget to Reply, Kudo, and Accept as Solution.

Jump to solution

@chrisar,

Do you know if the I2C master built into the HDMI DDC controller supports clock stretch?   

Thanks.  

Tim

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

@chrisar,

By the way I just ran across AR#69427 (https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/69427.html) which mentions a known issue with DDC sinks requesting clock stretch.   I am currently using Vivado 2017.4 with HDMI Version 3.0 (rev 1).    Do you know if the clock stretching issue was fixed in this version?   And if not, can I manually dig into the design to increase the timeout to avoid the problem?

Thanks.

Tim

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

@tim_severance

For the issue related to AR#69427, it should have been fixed in the v2017.3 and later version

Jump to solution

Hi @tim_severance,

If everything is clear for you on this subject, please kindly mark a reply as solution to close the topic. Else please reply to the topic

Thanks and Regards,

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

@xud,

You mention that the AR#69427 should be fixed in 2017.3 and later, but the AR does not mention that it actually has been fixed.   I am suspicious that this might be part of my problem getting the DDC to properly work even with a level translator installed.

Tim

0 Kudos
Scholar watari
Scholar

Jump to solution

Hi @tim_severance

> The interesting thing is that when reading the EDID device address 0x50 the lilliuput ACKs, but when trying to read if the monitor is HDMI 2.0 capable (also reading device address 0x50) the Lilliput NACKs.  

I'm not sure. But E-EDID address is changed from 0x50 to 0xA0 and 0xA1 when it is HDMI 2.0.

Could you make sure it ?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

HI @tim_severance,

Do you have any updates on this topic?

Thanks,

Florent
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

@watari / @florentw,

DDC I2C device address 0x50 (7 bit without specifying read/write bit) is actually the same as 0xA0 (8 bit specifying read/write bit as 0).   So yes, that is the correct address.

Thanks.

Tim

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

@tim_severance I still feel the issue could be related to the DDC power. Even if you can read EDID register fine, but you don't have enough power, so the response(acknowledge) time on I2C could be slower.

The spec also requires read request only remains active when +5V Power signal is provided. If you don't follow the spec, I don't know how much more suggestion we can offer.

If you have HDMI/I2C analyser, you can capture the trace log for TX DDC interface, and compare the working Sink, and non-working Sink, then you can get more hints. 

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

@xud,

We can close this for now.  If I determine the issue down the road after I do get an HDMI analyzer in my hands I will try to remember to update this thread with what the problem was.

Thanks for your help.

Tim

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @tim_severance,

To close this topic, could you mark a reply as accepted solution?

Thanks,

Florent
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

@florentw,

Since I am not certain on the solution at this point I will Mark this post as the solution.  

Thanks.  

Tim

0 Kudos