UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving pictures not visible on HDMI output (kcu116)

Jump to solution

Good morning,

this the continuation of https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Video/ADV7511-problems-on-KCU116-can-not-force-native-monitor/td-p/842982 post.

I have the system consisting of Microblaze, VDMA, VTC + Axi Stream to Video Out and my custom IP. I need to display the results from my custom IP on the monitor (using ADV7511). I managed to do so with 720p (VTC @ 74.25 MHz) but when I am switching to 1080p (VTC 148.5 @reaiken) it is not working 100% as intended:

In Microblaze C++ code I am continuously generating debug gradient and I am seeing proper results - so this animation is ok (MB and VDMA @175 Mhz). On the other hand when I start my IP (@275 MHz) in Auto Restart mode the screen is black but in a single frame mode (without Auto Restart) I can see the picture I wanted. I have also checked the case:

1) run IP

2) wait for IsIdle()/IsDone()

3) wait in for loop 100k cycles

4) go to 1)

The result of this 'solution' is also a black screen but I saw once a single frame of my animation.

My guess would be that there is something with VDMA configuration because I am able to see the animation created by Microblaze (sharing the same clock as VDMA).

original.png

It might be also helpful to know that my IP is writing bunches of pixel lines in burst mode (tailored in HLS). So pixels are not pushed into the memory continuously but rather interleaved by calculation cycles. For example: calculate 20 lines of pixels and only then write them into the memory.

Do you have any idea how to solve this problem?

Many thanks in advance!

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Moving pictures not visible on HDMI output (kcu116)

Jump to solution

Hi @florentw,

I do not have any synchronization between frame completion and start of vdma transfer - it runs continuously. 

There was also no problem with moving pictures coming from MB but from my custom IP.

Since 1080p VTC is 148.5 MHz which is twice as much as for 720p (74.25 MHz) I did the following thing. I doubled:

- # of frame buffers (4),

- READ Memory Map Data Width (256),

- READ Read Burst Size (16),

- READ Line Buffer Depth (1024).

With these parameters my design started to work again in 1080p.

However, I have a feeling that the set of parameters I changed is a bit too big (but works). If there is somebody that could point which parameter changes are redundant that would be awsome. If there is not - I will close this thread in a couple of days.

Best regards,

Pawel

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi @pjurgielewicz,

How are you doing the sync between the input data to the VDMA and the data from the MB? Are you sure the MB is fast enough to write into the VDMA for each frame?

Regards,

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @florentw,

I do not have any synchronization between frame completion and start of vdma transfer - it runs continuously. 

There was also no problem with moving pictures coming from MB but from my custom IP.

Since 1080p VTC is 148.5 MHz which is twice as much as for 720p (74.25 MHz) I did the following thing. I doubled:

- # of frame buffers (4),

- READ Memory Map Data Width (256),

- READ Read Burst Size (16),

- READ Line Buffer Depth (1024).

With these parameters my design started to work again in 1080p.

However, I have a feeling that the set of parameters I changed is a bit too big (but works). If there is somebody that could point which parameter changes are redundant that would be awsome. If there is not - I will close this thread in a couple of days.

Best regards,

Pawel

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @pjurgielewicz,

I am not sure about what you are doing but maybe you could do it with the video mixer? Or do a custom IP to mix two frames

This way you write into different memory space for both data. Then the MB can be slower than the incoming video data.

Regards,

Florent
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @florentw

this probably was not 100% clear from the beginning but MB is meant to serve as a microcontroller and provide a simple testbench animation used only for debugging purposes. MB animation & the moving pictures from my custom IP are mutually exclusive - there is only one source of pixel data at a time (no mixers needed) writing to the same start memory location.

Pawel

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi @pjurgielewicz,

Ok I see. So no, I do not see any other way :-)

Florent
0 Kudos