UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer axelvolley
Observer

PS DisplayPort TX not working with 2019.1

I tried a simple baremetal displayport design from Adam Taylor on the Ultra96 v1 (https://github.com/ATaylorCEngFIET/Ultra96V2_DisplayPort). It works when build with 2018.2 and 2018.3 but NOT with 2019.1. In 2019.1 the app is stuck in an ISR.

I also tried the VCU TRD for the ZCU106 board with DP output, which works fine in the 2018.3 pre-compiled version but not with 2019.1. The screen stays black. I tested both with 1920x1080 resolution.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Scholar watari
Scholar

Re: PS DisplayPort TX not working with 2019.1

Hi @axelvolley 

What kind of monitor do you use ?

Also, how do you connect to this monitor ? DP cable ? HDMI cable with DP-HDMI active adapter ? HDMI cable with DP-HDMI passive adapter ?

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Observer axelvolley
Observer

Ultra96: miniDP -> DP

ZCU106: DP -> DP

0 Kudos
Observer axelvolley
Observer

In all cases I used a native 1920x1080p resolution monitor (IIyami T2435) with DisplayPort input and a 1m DisplayPort cable with no adaptors.

0 Kudos
Scholar watari
Scholar

Hi @axelvolley 

Uhm. it's a little strange.

Would you share the following register's value ?

- DP_MAIN_STREAM_M_VID

- DP_MAIN_STREAM_N_VID

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Observer axelvolley
Observer

In case of the Ultra96 example which uses a resolution of 1280x720x60p. The values are:

DP_DP_MAIN_STREAM_N_VID =    DP_BASEADDR + 0x1B4: 0x00041eb0
DP_DP_MAIN_STREAM_M_VID =    DP_BASEADDR + 0x1AC: 0x0001220a

and of course for both builds (2018.3 and 2019.1). As I said these are identical designs, except for the IP cores.

Maybe I need to better explain what works and what not. The Live-video feed for the "vcu_qt" app of the "rdf0428-zcu106-vcu-trd-2019-1_v2.zip" downloaded from the Xilinx website doesn't work (alwasy black), but for the "rdf0428-zcu106-vcu-trd-2018-3.zip" it does.

The Ultra96 design explained above also uses the DPs live video feed.

0 Kudos
Scholar watari
Scholar

Hi @axelvolley 

I suspected behaviour of DP Tx's driver in 2019.1.

My query is to confirm suitable setting or not by this driver.

M_VAL / N_VAL * reference clock (270MHz) = 74.25MHz

It's a correct pixel clock of 1280x720p60.

So, I don't have any idea to resolve it...

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Observer axelvolley
Observer

Hi  watari,

can you confirm that the LiveVideo feed from your ZCU106-VCU-TRD, available from your website ("rdf0428-zcu106-vcu-trd-2019-1_v2.zip") works over the DisplayPort?

Otherwise I am wondering if my two boards an Ultra96 and a ZCU106 both have the same hardware problem when building with 2019.1 or am I the only one using the  ZCU106-VCU-TRD?

Regards 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hello @axelvolley 

I tested DPDMA example design based on PS DisplayPort Controller on ZCU106 board with Vivado 2019.1.

I did not observed any issues with PS DisplayPort of Zynq.

I have followed following procedure :

1. Created project for ZCU106 board in Vivado 2019.1

2. Created block design and In block design added Zynq US+ MPSOC PS IP.

3. Run Block automation

DPDMA S0.jpgClick on Run Automation

DPDMA S1.jpgSelect apply board preset option and click OK

4. Connect pl_clk to maxihpm0_fpd_aclk and maxihpm1_fpd_aclk as follows:

DPDMA S2.jpgClock connections

5. Run Synthesis. After synthesis completion export hardware ( File > Export > Export Hardware) without selecting bitstream option and Click OK.

DPDMA S3.jpg

6. Launch SDK from Vivado  (File > Launch SDK) and Click Ok with default options

DPDMA S4.jpg

7. In SDK, create New Board Support Package (File > New > Board Support Package). Select options as follows and Click Finish:

DPDMA S5.jpg

It will bring up Board Support Package (BSP) Setting (or you right click on BSP select Board support package setting to get this window shown below) change psu_dp driver to dppsu from avbuf and click Ok. It will automatically build BSP.

DPDMA S6.jpgpsu_dp driver for PS DP

7. Double click on system.mss and click on Import DPDMA example 

DPDMA S7.jpgDPDMA example

Tick option below and Click Ok.

DPDMA S8.jpg

8. Connect DisplayPort Monitor to ZCU106 and test example design. It should show half green display on your monitor and UART should show following log:

DPDMA Generic Video Example Test
Generating Overlay.....
HPD event .......... ! Connected.
Lane count =    2
Link rate =     20

Starting Training...
        ! Training succeeded.
DONE!
.......... HPD event
Successfully ran DPDMA Video Example Test

Regards,
Bhushan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi @axelvolley 

If your question is answered or your issue is solved, please kindly mark the response which helped as a solution (click on "Accept as solution" button below the reply).

If this is not solved/answered, please reply in the topic giving more information on your current status.

Thanks and Regards,

Aoife
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos
Observer axelvolley
Observer

I mentioned two designs, that use live-video feed to the display port, for example generated by the TPG. Live video uses "avbuf" config.

I mentioned two designs for which it doesn't work under 2019.1 but works for 2018.3.

I am not sure why you showed how the example design works! I tried that of course for 2019.1 and 2018.3 and had no problems either. The problem is the live-video feed shown in the two above mentioned designs.

0 Kudos

hi @axelvolley 

You mentioned the VCU TRD 2019.1 which is not using the live input. Check on the design:

VCU TRD.JPG

So the test from @bpatil is relevant if the VCU TRD is failing for you. So it might worth for you do use the same as a first step.

Regards

Florent
Observer axelvolley
Observer

Ok may be I am jumping to consclusion about the live video feed.

I also said that I tried the example DP design. 

As a matter of fact I still have two examples, as stated in my 1st email that don't work with the DP.

The design by Adam Taylor was checked multiple time with 2018.2, 2018.3 and 2019.1 and it never worked with 2019.1.

I also mentioned that the VCU TRD for the ZCU106 board downloaded here https://www.xilinx.com/member/forms/download/design-license-xef.html?filename=rdf0428-zcu106-vcu-trd-2019-1_v2.zip doesn't work when using the DP output. Can you confirm?

0 Kudos

HI @axelvolley 

Unfortunnatly I have no ZCU106 with me at the moment. But maybe @bpatil can try quickly?

It might just be that the VCU TRD has the displayport controller disabled in 2019.1 because it is not really what we want ot showcase here. But with that said, I am quite sure I ran the VCU TRD with 2019.1 and I had an output. However you need to enable the display first, so it might no come up by default

You can try the following on the ZCU106:

1. run a modetest command and check if you have an output
  2. Try with the vcu-demo-decode-display.sh example as per PG252 p134. I am not sure if the VCU TRD has it so you might need to use the ZCU106 released images or ZCU106 BSP

Florent
0 Kudos
Scholar watari
Scholar

Hi @axelvolley 

I evaluated ZCU106 VCU TRD 2019.1 via gstreamer with LCD monitor (Supported 4K resolution) on DispalyPort Tx and HDMI Tx.

It worked fine.

So, at least, it doesn't have any problem about DP Tx on MPSoC...

Sorry I didn't read all posts on this thread, if you already mentioned important information...

Best regards,

0 Kudos

Hi @axelvolley 

If your question is answered or your issue is solved, please kindly mark the response which helped as a solution (click on "Accept as solution" button below the reply).

If this is not solved/answered, please reply in the topic giving more information on your current status.

Thanks and Regards,

Aoife
0 Kudos