UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

UHD SDI IP Rx to HDMI out

Jump to solution

Hi,

I am using ZC706 and 12G SDI FMC card.  

What is the recommended IPs to connect SDI Rx to external HDMI Phy on ZC706?  There does not seem to have much info on how to interface SDI Rx to AXI-Stream, so I am thinking of this path:

3G SDI  signal 

->  UHD SDI Rx  4:2:2 format 

-> convert EAV, SAV, TRS to video syncs 

->  Video in to AXI-Stream (4:2:2)

->   Video Processing Subsystem v2.0 ( Chroma resampling )

->  AXI-Stream to Video out (4:4:4, RGB?)

->  output to HDMI phy

Is there a simpler path from SDI to HDMI?  

Thanks in  advance,

Neo

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: UHD SDI IP Rx to HDMI out

Jump to solution

Hi wtneo@leica,

Because you are on a 7 series part you will need to use the SDI RX core and not the UHD-SDI RX Subsystem.

The UHD-SDI RX Subsystem, uses a version of the SDI RX core, so we can use this as an example.

2018-12-11 09_31_23-Xilinx Documentation Navigator 2017.2 -  http___www.xilinx.com_support_documenta.pngThis is very close to your stream. The SDI core passes signals into a bridge to convert SDI into Video Syncs, then the bridge goes into another bridge to convert the native stream to AXI4-Stream.

The AXI4-Stream is available through IPI, but the SDI RX to Video Bridge is not a released/supported IP, please create your own bridge to convert SDI into Video Syncs.

[SK]**removed TCL commands** 

Using the VPSS for conversion as well as resampling may or may not be needed. Our HDMI core supports:

Support color space for RGB, YUV 4:4:4,
YUV 4:2:2, YUV 4:2:0

Keep in mind that HDMI only supports YUV 4:2:2  with a 12 bit depth. (AR#64562)

Lastly, you do not need to convert the AXI4-Stream into native mode for HDMI. The HDMI Subsystems support an AXI4-Stream interface.

Please see the example design provided for the HDMI TX in chapter 5 of PG235

-Sam

Regards,

Sam

Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

Xilinx Video Design Hub
0 Kudos
5 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi wtneo@leica,

Because you are on a 7 series part you will need to use the SDI RX core and not the UHD-SDI RX Subsystem.

The UHD-SDI RX Subsystem, uses a version of the SDI RX core, so we can use this as an example.

2018-12-11 09_31_23-Xilinx Documentation Navigator 2017.2 -  http___www.xilinx.com_support_documenta.pngThis is very close to your stream. The SDI core passes signals into a bridge to convert SDI into Video Syncs, then the bridge goes into another bridge to convert the native stream to AXI4-Stream.

The AXI4-Stream is available through IPI, but the SDI RX to Video Bridge is not a released/supported IP, please create your own bridge to convert SDI into Video Syncs.

[SK]**removed TCL commands** 

Using the VPSS for conversion as well as resampling may or may not be needed. Our HDMI core supports:

Support color space for RGB, YUV 4:4:4,
YUV 4:2:2, YUV 4:2:0

Keep in mind that HDMI only supports YUV 4:2:2  with a 12 bit depth. (AR#64562)

Lastly, you do not need to convert the AXI4-Stream into native mode for HDMI. The HDMI Subsystems support an AXI4-Stream interface.

Please see the example design provided for the HDMI TX in chapter 5 of PG235

-Sam

Regards,

Sam

Xilinx Video Design Hub
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Hi Sam,

SDI RX to Video Bridge contains function to derive EAV, SAV and TRS whereas UHD SDI I am using already outputs these signals directly.  Is it a trivial design to derive video sync signals from these existing outputs?  The Bridge IP is being discontinued so I prefer not to use it.  

Regards,

Neo

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi wtneo@leica,

I am assuming that you are referencing this bridge. This is for 3G and my suggestion is to use this as a starting point and as a reference to determine how much work is involved to write your own bridge. 

In both cases, the bridge used in the Subsystem and the bridge above, both of these are unsupported.

Regards,

Sam

Xilinx Video Design Hub
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Hi,

How do I connect CTRL interface for unsupported SDI RX to video bridge.  I cannot find any documentation on it.  

Regards,

Neo

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi wtneo@leica,

There is no documentation for this as it is unsupported. You can try looking at the subsystems driver to find the control for the interface. 

If this does not work, and you write your own, I think that one/both of these may be unencrypted and you can use them as a reference to write your own bridge.

Regards,

Sam

Xilinx Video Design Hub
0 Kudos