UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Participant dasjimaz
Participant

Ultrascale + DisplayPort non-live video Standalone Training Fail

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

I've been browsing the forum for a while looking for my problem, but I´m still a little bit confused.

I have a ZCU102 and I want to use the hard DP inside the MPSoC. First of all, I want to be sure I can use my actual monitor, so I´m trying to get the standalone example application working : xdpdma_video_example.c.

.. and I´m getting this:

dp_lkt_fail.JPG

Can I assume that if this isn´t working is because the monitor is not in the accepted monitor list?

I´ve activated the DP inside the MPSoC with "dual lower" Lane salection (GT0 and GT1).

Thanks a lot,

Daniel

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Participant dasjimaz
Participant

Re: Ultrascale + DisplayPort non-live video Standalone Training Fail

Jump to solution

Hi @florentw@watari. Thanks for your suggestions. I was able to do some test these days and I have observerd the following:

As flortentw suggested, I started a projet from the scracht targeting the zcu102 board. Result was exactly the same as before, the link training failed.

I used a trd to verify that this is not a monitor issue. Is not, as I see the expected image via DP monitor. That´s nice, as I Know it will work with my design at some point. 

Then I downloaded the targeted reference desing rdf0421 for Vivado 2017.4 and saved the MPSoc Settings. I applied this settings to a new project and then I see something new:

baremetal_dp_driver.png

Now I should see some green bar in the monitor, but my problem now is almost like the one this other collegue is having:

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Video/2018-2-DPDMA-baremetal-example-design-not-working/m-p/898391#M22162

I see how the monitor is connected to the link, the monitor is alive, but I just see a black image. 

Thank you very much for your time.

Daniel

0 Kudos
19 Replies
Participant malburgj
Participant

Jump to solution

I don't know enough about the example to know why it failed training, but I've used a number of different monitors (not on the list) and haven't seen it fail.

Scholar watari
Scholar

Jump to solution

Hi @dasjimaz

I ask you the followings to resolve this issue.

Would you tell me them ?

Q1) What kind of resolution do you output ?

Q2) Can you change resolution as 720x480@60Hz or 640x480@60Hz via DP Tx ? Also, what happened in consequence ?

[Additional Information]

FYI.

https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/71416.html

Best regards,

Participant dasjimaz
Participant

Jump to solution

Hi @malburgj, thanks for sharing this, I guess the problem will be more complicated to resolve than just change the monitor..

@watari, thanks for your concern. I did as you suggested and changed the resolution. I was using XVIDC_VM_1920x1080_60_P and when changed to 640x480 @60Hz or 720x480@60Hz I get the training failed message. I also tried to use just one Lane as in the link and no luck, training failed.

I think AUX channel is OK, as I´m getting the HPD events. By the way, is there a verbose mode for the link training?

Thank you very much,

Daniel

0 Kudos
Scholar watari
Scholar

Jump to solution

Hi @dasjimaz

Basically, display Port Rx has to support 640x480@60Hz.

In this case (you already mentioned), I suspect the followings.

- Use passive adapter to connect your monitor by HDMI. (Not support DP.)

- Clock jitter

- Over spec SSC

- Monitor issue

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Participant dasjimaz
Participant

Jump to solution

Hi @watari, thank you very much.

Tomorrow I will do a cross check with antoher monitor and I´ll show you here the results. 

Thanks again,

Daniel

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

HI @dasjimaz,

It tried quickly with the DPDMA example and I got a green display on my monitor.

Do you have any updates on your side? If still not owrking, can you check if your monitor is displaying any message?

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos
Participant dasjimaz
Participant

Jump to solution

Hi @florentw,

I´ve tried today with another monitor (this one was a DELL from 2012), and I got the same message, link training failed. I must be doing something wrong, but the process is so straightforward... what could I be doing wrong?

1) I´m enabling DP inside the MPSoc ZU+ customize window, in the I/O configuration.

2) I´m configuring SW bsp drivers as told in 

https://xilinx-wiki.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/A/pages/18842318/ZynqMP+Standalone+DisplayPort+Driver

3) I´m running the xdpdma_video_example project. 

Am I missing something in this process?

dp_conf.jpg

Thanks a lot for your help,

Daniel

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

HI @dasjimaz,

I see that you are using the ZCU102. For the vivado design could you only do the following.

1. Create a BD
  2. Add the zynq
  3. You should see apply board settings message on top on the bd (green). Click on it
  4. In the pop up window, make sure apply board preset is selected
  5. Generate output product and generate the bitstream
  6. Export to SDK

For the steps in SDK, please follow this post I have written today

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Video/Standalone-DisplayPort-on-ZCU102/m-p/897622/highlight/true#M22114

Hope that helps,

Florent
0 Kudos
Participant dasjimaz
Participant

Jump to solution

Hi @florentw,

Thanks again. I´ll be able to test this things on Monday. I will come back with the results.

Is there any way to debug the auxiliary channel? Maybe is possible to find what part of link training fails.

Thanks everyone,

Daniel

0 Kudos
Scholar watari
Scholar

Jump to solution

Hi @dasjimaz

Do you have a protocol analyzer for DP ?

I suggest to use it, if you debug.

Best regards,

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @dasjimaz,

Do you have any updates on this?

If your question is answered or your issue is solved, please kindly mark the response which helped as solution (click on "Accept as solution" button below the reply)

If this is not solved/answered, please reply in the topic giving more information on your current status.

Thanks and Regards,

Florent
0 Kudos
Participant dasjimaz
Participant

Jump to solution

Hi @florentw, I won´t let this post sink without marking it as resolved, it is the less I can do after your help. I couldn´t test this yet, I´ll be back as soon as I have new info.

Thank you very much,

Daniel

0 Kudos
Participant dasjimaz
Participant

Jump to solution

Hi @florentw@watari. Thanks for your suggestions. I was able to do some test these days and I have observerd the following:

As flortentw suggested, I started a projet from the scracht targeting the zcu102 board. Result was exactly the same as before, the link training failed.

I used a trd to verify that this is not a monitor issue. Is not, as I see the expected image via DP monitor. That´s nice, as I Know it will work with my design at some point. 

Then I downloaded the targeted reference desing rdf0421 for Vivado 2017.4 and saved the MPSoc Settings. I applied this settings to a new project and then I see something new:

baremetal_dp_driver.png

Now I should see some green bar in the monitor, but my problem now is almost like the one this other collegue is having:

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Video/2018-2-DPDMA-baremetal-example-design-not-working/m-p/898391#M22162

I see how the monitor is connected to the link, the monitor is alive, but I just see a black image. 

Thank you very much for your time.

Daniel

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

HI @dasjimaz,

Can you try to set a lower resolution in the application?

Regards

Florent
0 Kudos
Participant dasjimaz
Participant

Jump to solution

Hi @florentw,

I was trying to make this example design to work to demonstrate that I can use my actual monitor, and as in the process of debuging the SW example, I´ve switched to my real goal, that is to use the live video input to send my "VDMA - AXI Stream to video out" video flow into a DP monitor. I´m using VTC for the live video input timing.

I´ve almost succeded, as I´m seeing my video in the DP monitor. I´ve have a color space problem (I barely see a black&white image), but I´m messing with the driver functions to realize how to improve this. I thibk I should use a function to set my input video to RGB 888, as this is how I have connected the 36 pixel data bits in the PL to live video input. Am I in the right direction?

Regarding this topic, I think we could close it if you think my actual question is someway far from the orginal one, or may be it could be useful to keep it opened to debug the original problem.

Thank you very much,

Daniel

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

HI @dasjimaz,

Yes, could you kindly close the topic as your question is now related to the live input (while the initial topic was about the non-live)? Please try to pick the best reply to accept as solution (the one which can help the most people having the same issue).

For the last question, I believe you are in the right direction, but do not hesitate to create a new topic for it if you need to get help. But you can also use this topic to share how you solved the issue with the community ;)

Regards,

Florent
Participant dasjimaz
Participant

Jump to solution

Hi,

After all, I think the key for me was using a working design to obtain the right configuration for the DP in the ZCU102. I used the rdf0421 to get the Zynq settings, starting another project from the scracht and applying this configuration. This made the SW example to succesfully do the link training, despite I didn´t get the proper image. However, I did some changes in the example design to switch to live video, which was "almost" properly displayed in the monitor, as the live video is in fact the feed of a camera. 

Thanks to everyone,

Daniel

Visitor reuvena
Visitor

Jump to solution

@dasjimaz wrote:

Hi @florentw,

I´ve tried today with another monitor (this one was a DELL from 2012), and I got the same message, link training failed. I must be doing something wrong, but the process is so straightforward... what could I be doing wrong?

1) I´m enabling DP inside the MPSoc ZU+ customize window, in the I/O configuration.

2) I´m configuring SW bsp drivers as told in 

https://xilinx-wiki.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/A/pages/18842318/ZynqMP+Standalone+DisplayPort+Driver

3) I´m running the xdpdma_video_example project. 

Am I missing something in this process?

dp_conf.jpg

Thanks a lot for your help,

Daniel

Hello,

I am using the ZCU102 Rev 1.0 Vivado 2018.2.

When I used in the Block Design the Zynq with "Apply Board Preset" checked, the Display port did not work.

Following your attached screen shot of the Zynq Peripheral->High speed to remove PCIe and change the Display Port to Dual Lower, the Display Port xdpdma_video_example worked.

Thank you,

Reuven

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @reuvena,

Please ask a new question on the video board as this topic is already close

Regards,

Florent
0 Kudos