UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VTpg Random noise pattern halt?

Jump to solution

Hi,

I am working with the HDMI source example design running on a KC705 in Vivado 2017.4.   An engineer I am working with is requesting that I take the pattern that outputs random snow and stop it somehow so the existing random pixels stay static on the screen until I tell the snow to start changing again.

Does anybody know if this is possible to do with the v_tpg?

Thanks.

Tim

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Re: VTpg Random noise pattern halt?

Jump to solution

@tim_severance

You can't do that with the TPG IP, because it does not store a full frame of the pattern image (that would take lots of memory!).  It calculates the image on the fly, on a pixel-by-pixel basis, and outputs the data.

The easiest way to do what you want is to put the TPG in front of a VDMA IN to a frame memory, then display the frame contents with a VDMA OUT.   Turn the VDMA IN off via the AXI4-Lite interface with a MicroBlaze write and the output VDMA image will freeze. Turn the VDMA IN back on and it will go live again.    The VDMA OUT will keep a constant stream of output data going, frozen or not.

3 Replies
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

@tim_severance

You can't do that with the TPG IP, because it does not store a full frame of the pattern image (that would take lots of memory!).  It calculates the image on the fly, on a pixel-by-pixel basis, and outputs the data.

The easiest way to do what you want is to put the TPG in front of a VDMA IN to a frame memory, then display the frame contents with a VDMA OUT.   Turn the VDMA IN off via the AXI4-Lite interface with a MicroBlaze write and the output VDMA image will freeze. Turn the VDMA IN back on and it will go live again.    The VDMA OUT will keep a constant stream of output data going, frozen or not.

Scholar watari
Scholar

Jump to solution

Hi @tim_severance

I guess your co-worker request to output PRBS7 pattern to measure waveform and clock jitter on HDMI by oscilloscope.

If yes, as far as I know,  v_tpg does not support it. But it it easy to implement this function by RTL.

Best regards,

Jump to solution

Thanks @watari and @reaiken,

I like the VDMA idea.   I was just hoping for a quick solution using the existing desing.

Tim

0 Kudos