UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Contributor

Very strange auto-inferred quantizing in accelDSP

I have a vector that is auto-quantized to fixed wrap [20 6] format. Let us call the vector X. So far so good.

But then I take two elements in the vector and subtract. Y = X(1)-X(5);
Auto inferred precision is then fixed wrap [14 6] for Y!!!!!!

Can anyone explain how the fixed point generator can greate a 14 bit value for the difference between two signed 20-bit values???

Edit: I use AccelDSP 9.2.01 and Matlab R2007a

Message Edited by andax on 03-13-2008 09:27 AM
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Very strange auto-inferred quantizing in accelDSP

are the any elements in the X vector constants?
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

No, X is a result vector based on the input stream of samples and thus not constant in any sense.
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Check if there are any quantize directives on 'Y' forcing  the type.  You can search through the .add file for lines containing "SetDirective -quantize". 

Any quantize directives will override any implied data types.  You can also have an explicit quantization coded into your MATLAB. 

If you don't think either of these is the case please open a WebCase with Xilinx support so we can investigate this further.
0 Kudos