UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Video IP blocks and the Video Processing Subsystem - Chroma Resampler, Deinterlacer, Colorspace converter

Jump to solution

So, I've been wrestling with some issues regarding these particular Xilinx Video IP blocks, and I decided to reach out to the Forums to get some answers.

Initially, I was using the Chroma Resampler IP and RGB2YCrCb/YCrCb2RGB Colorspace Converter IP blocks in a design. I was able to implement these and get the designs to work, but then I needed to implement Deinterlacing. I immediately had weird issues with the Deinterlacer IP (AXI-Byte Enbles getting redefined from inputs to outputs and causing multiple-drivers on the GND node,) and I started looking to the forums for help. I found an article where Xilinx suggested the designer look at the Video Processing Subsystem for this functionality, so I did as well. I was please to find out that you could "trim" or focus the Video Processing Subsystem to separate functions like chroma-resamplling, Color Space Conversion and Deinterlacing, but I ran into the following issues.

* First, in the Documentation for the Video Processing Subsystem IP (pg231-v_proc-ss.pdf) there is LITTLE or NO register descriptions of the IP that is contained in this Subsystem. As opposed to the docs for the "deprecated/deprecating" IP like the Deinterlacer (pg017-v_deinterlacer.pdf,) the Chroma Resampler (pg012_v_cresample.pdf,) or either of the Color Space Converter IP blocks (pg013_v_RGB2YCrCb.pdf or pg014_v_YCrCb2RBG.pdf), which do a GREAT job of documenting registers for these IPs, the Video Processing Subsystem has NONE.

Q: Where do I go for that documentation? (Please don't tell me APIs, because there is no bit by bit register description there.)

* Second, I was able to take one of the Video Beginner Series tutorials, especially - Video Beginner Series 8: Debugging the AXI4-Stream to Video Out IP (lab 1,) and add the Chroma Resampler(v_cresample) and RGB2YCrCb (v_RBG2YCrCb) IP blocks and simulate going from RBG to 4:2:2 YuV and out the AXI4S_Video_Out block successfully! Which helped me to successfully implement the IP in hardware.

* Now, I try and replace the Chroma Resample in that "design" with a block from the Video Processing Subsystem, and the FIRST thing I run into, is that the output from the Chroma Resampler (4:4:4-->4:2:2) instead of being a 16-bit databus as defined in the overall AXI Video IP User's Guide (ug934,) it's still a 24-bit bus -- COMPLETELY different than the deprecated v_cresample IP. ???

* Also, when I replace the v_cresample IP with the Chroma Resampler VPSS block, I get NO data through the block. My first thought was that I needed to START the VPSS block. I DID look at the API's for the VPSS and it wrote a 1b'0' to the Control Register, so I had to implement a AXI_CrossBar with 17-bit addressing to get the TPG and VPSS on their own write-able 64K page, and after the TPG was setup and started, I started the VPSS - Still no Go.

Q: What am I doing wrong???

Lab1_VPSS.png
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Video IP blocks and the Video Processing Subsystem - Chroma Resampler, Deinterlacer, Colorspace converter

Jump to solution

@gcsimmonsjr wrote:

So, I've been wrestling with some issues regarding these particular Xilinx Video IP blocks, and I decided to reach out to the Forums to get some answers.

Initially, I was using the Chroma Resampler IP and RGB2YCrCb/YCrCb2RGB Colorspace Converter IP blocks in a design. I was able to implement these and get the designs to work, but then I needed to implement Deinterlacing. I immediately had weird issues with the Deinterlacer IP (AXI-Byte Enbles getting redefined from inputs to outputs and causing multiple-drivers on the GND node,) and I started looking to the forums for help. I found an article where Xilinx suggested the designer look at the Video Processing Subsystem for this functionality, so I did as well. I was please to find out that you could "trim" or focus the Video Processing Subsystem to separate functions like chroma-resamplling, Color Space Conversion and Deinterlacing, but I ran into the following issues.

* First, in the Documentation for the Video Processing Subsystem IP (pg231-v_proc-ss.pdf) there is LITTLE or NO register descriptions of the IP that is contained in this Subsystem. As opposed to the docs for the "deprecated/deprecating" IP like the Deinterlacer (pg017-v_deinterlacer.pdf,) the Chroma Resampler (pg012_v_cresample.pdf,) or either of the Color Space Converter IP blocks (pg013_v_RGB2YCrCb.pdf or pg014_v_YCrCb2RBG.pdf), which do a GREAT job of documenting registers for these IPs, the Video Processing Subsystem has NONE.

Q: Where do I go for that documentation? (Please don't tell me APIs, because there is no bit by bit register description there.)

[Florent] - Well...Sorry...But I will tell you...APIs... ;)

We do not provide the register map to the users for the VPSS. The user is expected to use the APIs. The VPSS is a complex IP and allowing the user to control it through the register map would lead to many issues.

All the APIs should be clearly documented in the driver documentation

* Second, I was able to take one of the Video Beginner Series tutorials, especially - Video Beginner Series 8: Debugging the AXI4-Stream to Video Out IP (lab 1,) and add the Chroma Resampler(v_cresample) and RGB2YCrCb (v_RBG2YCrCb) IP blocks and simulate going from RBG to 4:2:2 YuV and out the AXI4S_Video_Out block successfully! Which helped me to successfully implement the IP in hardware.

* Now, I try and replace the Chroma Resample in that "design" with a block from the Video Processing Subsystem, and the FIRST thing I run into, is that the output from the Chroma Resampler (4:4:4-->4:2:2) instead of being a 16-bit databus as defined in the overall AXI Video IP User's Guide (ug934,) it's still a 24-bit bus -- COMPLETELY different than the deprecated v_cresample IP. ???

[Florent] - First, I am glad you read my video series. It is always good to see that it is helpful for the community.

The VPSS still as a 24 bit input because it can do both way (422 -> 444 and 444 -> 422). If you are only doing 444->422 you just have to put and AXI-Subset converter as mentioned in my Video Series 12.

* Also, when I replace the v_cresample IP with the Chroma Resampler VPSS block, I get NO data through the block. My first thought was that I needed to START the VPSS block. I DID look at the API's for the VPSS and it wrote a 1b'0' to the Control Register, so I had to implement a AXI_CrossBar with 17-bit addressing to get the TPG and VPSS on their own write-able 64K page, and after the TPG was setup and started, I started the VPSS - Still no Go.

[Florent] - Yes you are correct you need to start the VPSS (using the APIs). You might want to refer to the example design to know the exact flow SDK\2018.3\data\embeddedsw\XilinxProcessorIPLib\drivers\vprocss_v2_5\examples.

You will see that it uses the following API: XVprocSs_SetSubsystemConfig(VpssPtr);

Best Regards,

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos
11 Replies

Re: Video IP blocks and the Video Processing Subsystem - Chroma Resampler, Deinterlacer, Colorspace converter

Jump to solution

@gcsimmonsjr wrote:

[Florent] - Well...Sorry...But I will tell you...APIs... ;)

We do not provide the register map to the users for the VPSS. The user is expected to use the APIs. The VPSS is a complex IP and allowing the user to control it through the register map would lead to many issues.

All the APIs should be clearly documented in the driver documentation

[Florent] - First, I am glad you read my video series. It is always good to see that it is helpful for the community.

The VPSS still as a 24 bit input because it can do both way (422 -> 444 and 444 -> 422). If you are only doing 444->422 you just have to put and AXI-Subset converter as mentioned in my Video Series 12.

[Florent] - Yes you are correct you need to start the VPSS (using the APIs). You might want to refer to the example design to know the exact flow SDK\2018.3\data\embeddedsw\XilinxProcessorIPLib\drivers\vprocss_v2_5\examples.

You will see that it uses the following API: XVprocSs_SetSubsystemConfig(VpssPtr);

Best Regards,

Florent
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

I appreciate your replying so fast!  Actually, Thank you for the Video Series, it has been VERY helpful. I continue to learn from it. I will look up what you suggested.

However, I'd really like to do what I did before (attached schematic from previous post,) and verify the behavior of the IP with the Lab1 you provided for the Video Out IP core.

Is there a way to write verilog commands in the tb_AXI4S_to_Vid_Out.sv in order to start the VPSS?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @gcsimmonsjr,

No the VPSS does not support simulation (because you need to use the drivers). Actually, this is the reason why I used the old IPs instead of the VPSS (while writing that you should use the VPSS).

You could workaround that by simulating the VPSS with a microblaze + the .elf file with the application but I would not recommend it as it will be complex and really slow.

Usually, we are recommending the user to try directly on-board because we are getting to high resolutions which would require a really long simulation time. So it is easier to just run on board directly.

Regards,

Florent
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

OK. I found the same thing. I usually knock the resolution down to 480p or 480i for simulation.

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Additional question. I'm reading your Video Beginner Series 12 section, and I noticed that sometimes you are changing the TUSER bits, and I'm not sure if I understand why.

For example, if I'm interfacing a Vid_In_AXI4S block, 10-bit RGB, to the VPSS, the AXI4S Master is video_tdata[23:0], and the VPSS is Slave video_tdata[31:0]. If I use an axis_data_width_converter, how do I know what to set the TUSER bits to?  I tried turning this to AUTO, but I got the following Warning:

[xilinx.com:ip:axis_dwidth_converter:1.1-1] /axis_dwidth_converter_0Slave interface TUSER_WIDTH (1) is not an integer multiple of number of slave interface TDATA_NUM_BYTES (3). TUSER_BITS_PER_BYTE forced to 0.

Is this expected and OK?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @gcsimmonsjr,

Video IPs are only using a single bit for the tuser. I would recommend to force it to be a single bit to match with the IPs.

Florent
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Just to Double-Check.  The AXIS Data-Width Converter IP says "TUSER bits per byte."

Is this a misnomer, and it should read TUSER bits per transfer (NUM_BYTES long) ?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @gcsimmonsjr,

No bit per byte is correct. This IP will configure the tuser width depending on the width of your tdata (in byte).

Regards

Florent
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

OK, I think I get it now. Apologies for my thick-headedness. I'm from an old 8-bit S/W background, and when I see BYTE, I think 8-bits per BYTE, 4-bits per NIBBLE - and WORDs vary from 16-bits to 256-bits, in all shapes and sizes.

I re-read the AXI UG761, and I know understand that the TUSER bits are meant for side-band communication, and are usually specified as a TUSER bus, with its width in bits. I was confusing this as a bit per BYTE of TDATA (3 Bytes of TDATA ==> 3-bits of TUSER.) Now, I understand they are really unrelated.

0 Kudos
Observer sabiya
Observer

Jump to solution

Hi,

I implemented a video processing subsystem ip blocks on zcu102. But, i need frame rate conversion from the input is 24fps and my output want to set 60fps. So, i need a help how it convert.

Thanks.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @sabiya 

How many times will you ask this question? I already answered it.

If you do not have enough knowledge to do your own design then you should work with a design services company. Nobody will do the design for you on the forums...

Florent
0 Kudos