UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video pattern generator pattern images?

Jump to solution

Hi,

Does anybody know if there is a document that shows what all the possible patterns look like on a monitor?

There is a specific pattern I am looking for and I would prefer to not have to generate a design and look on a monitor to see all the possibilities.

Thanks.

Tim

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Video pattern generator pattern images?

Jump to solution

Hi @tim_severance,

As @reaiken, I don't think there is this type of pattern in the TPG.

One other recommendation to generate it could be to use a VDMA. Use you processor to write the pattern then read with the VDMA.

Is there a reason why you want this specific pattern? If you have a valid use case, we might be able to ask for enhancement.

Regards,

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
10 Replies
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

Unfortunately, I don't know of any docs that show all possible combinations.  The TPG product guide is your best bet:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/v_tpg/v7_0/pg103-v-tpg.pdf

It has descriptions, but no screen shots.  There are so many variations, it would be difficult to provide all possible combinations. 

You could build a system with a MicroBlaze and use it program the registers to try the various options.

Ted Booth - Tech. Lead FPGA Design Engineer
www.designlinxhs.com
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @tim_severance,

No we do not have any documents for all the output for the TPG.

You can try to do it in simulation and write the output to a picture file. To control the TPG you can use the VIP IP.

Regards,

Florent
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

@florentw,

I opened the example design which included a simulation, but there is no direction that I can find on what the results should be or how to have a picture file generated.   Do you know how I can get instructions on how to do this?

Thanks.

Tim

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

@florentw,

I have setup the TPG to use BACKGROUND_PATTERN_ID=1 (horizontal ramp), but it appears to be taking ramping RGB together (giving me a black and white ramp).   Do you know if there is a way I can set it up to ramp R, then ramp G, then ramp B, then all togher, then loop back to ramping R etc?    Below is what I am getting versus what I would like to achieve.

What I am getting out of the TPG:

tpg_image.jpg

What I would like to get (ignore box in the middle):

Muxlabs_image.jpg

Thanks.Tim

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

@tim_severance

The standard TPG is not configurable, it just puts out basic color bars, ramps, and flat field signals, along with a few more specialized patterns, like checkerboard, tartan bars, etc.

If you want an repeating single-pixel-per-step RGBY ramp pattern like that, you can make a custom AXI4-Stream video IP peripheral to generate it.   Just make a counter that counts from 0 to 255 (for 8-bit RGB) for the 8 R bits only, then the 8 G bits only, then the 8 B bits only, then for all 24 RGB bits together for the monochrome ramp, and repeat this pattern each line.  Add a horizontal and vertical counter to match your video standard to generate the SOF and EOL signals, and  make a simple AXI4-stream master back-end to generate the handshaking control to go with this data and you're good to go.

Alternately, if you aren't handy with writing custom AXI4-stream video peripherals, you can write a standard Verilog or VHDL IP block with counters for the RGB data as outlined above, and a horizontal and vertical counter with some logic to generate appropriate H and V sync signals and a DE signal output to match your video standard, and run that into a Video In to AXI4-Stream IP peripheral to format it as AXI4-Stream data.

Jump to solution

Hi @tim_severance,

As @reaiken, I don't think there is this type of pattern in the TPG.

One other recommendation to generate it could be to use a VDMA. Use you processor to write the pattern then read with the VDMA.

Is there a reason why you want this specific pattern? If you have a valid use case, we might be able to ask for enhancement.

Regards,

Florent

Jump to solution

@florentw / @reaiken

Thanks for the suggestions.   Both the RTL and VDMA are good choices.   My only problem is I am strapped for time and was hoping there was a built in way to get the pattern.   I will plan to try one of these when I have time.  

@florentw,

The reason I want this pattern is this pattern gives us a worst case supply current on the part I am testing.  It might be worth asking the development team if this could eventually be an option in the TPG.  

Thanks.  

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

@tim_severanceAs @florentw suggested, if you already have a frame memory, writing a full frame of the pattern to a section of memory and VMDAing it out would be a much faster solution than my suggestion.

That one-pixel-per clock ramp is also a great test signal to check for timing errors or bit errors in logic, LVDS cables, display drivers, etc.  A timing error will show up as vertical lines in the color ramp pattern, or a pinkish line in the monochrome ramp.

As for future updates to the TPG IP, I would love to see an option for a programmable line of memory that can be written to via AXI4-Lite interface, so the user can write a custom line-based pattern such as this ramp signal.

Even better would be an option for up to three lines of memory, with a programmable register to set the vertical starting line for each pattern.  This would allow you to make custom line-based patterns that use two or three different lines, like SMPTE colorbars, EIA colorbars, /YREF bars, /RED bars, split-field colorbars etc., and write them quickly without having to write an entire frame of the pattern to the main memory.

Jump to solution

@florentw, I agree with all of @reaiken's suggestions for TPG additions.

Tim

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

HI @reaiken,

I never saw it like that but it is true that all patern are a repetition of lines or column. So it might be usefull to be able to write on line or one column and have it replicated.

I will give the suggestion to development.

Regards,

Florent
0 Kudos