UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

Vivado 2018.2 Freezing Customize HDMI Receiver Subsystem

Jump to solution

Hello I am creating a block design, adding HDMI 1.4/2.0 Receiver Subsystem v2.0. I then double click on the IP/right click and select "Customize IP" in the menu, then Vivado totally freezes and continues to run until I kill it manually from terminal.

Tool Version: 2018.2

Has anyone seen this or know why this is happening? Any chance it is a licensing issue?

Manually killing the vivado process in the terminal produces the message

/Xilinx/Vivado/2018.2/bin/loader: line 194: 10970 Terminated              "$RDI_PROG" "$@"

UPDATE: Ran Vivado on different machine running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. Same result. 

UPDATE: It only seems to be those IP, the HDMI transmitter and receiver subsystems. I have installed temp licenses for the hdmi cores and same result

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Vivado 2018.2 Freezing Customize HDMI Receiver Subsystem

Jump to solution

Hello @johnfrye11,

Firs of all, in Vivado, when you do the License Status check for an IP, here you see an exact name of the licensing feature (v_hdmi in this case) and then a minimum version limit required (2017.10) for this particular IP Core. At this stage it doesn't tell you what license was actually found by the tool, and only shows you what is required.

23.PNG

However, if you click on OK, on the next page, here you can see what was actually found for this IP, e.g.:24.PNG:

In my example above, since I don't have a valid v_hdmi license, the tool selects Design_Linking license that comes pre-built with Vivado installation.

In your case, I would expect to see e.g. "Hardware_Eval" here instead of Design_Linking. Can you confirm on this please?

Now, in relation to the XILINXD_LICENSE_FILE and LM_LICENSE_FILE, if these environments are both set (by the way, you only meant to set XILINXD_LICENSE_FILE for any Xilinx related licenses ONLY and no need to set LM_LICENSE_FILE, as LM_LICENSE_FILE is meant to be used for other non-Xilinx related license vendors), and if if these are both set to point to the same server or servers, all you are doing here is increasing the time it takes to find a valid license for this IP Core.

Please note that if these XILINXD_LICENSE_FILE and LM_LICENSE_FILE environment variables are both set, Vivado will be forced to scan all of your Node-Locked licenses available on this machine, then all of the servers you've pointed to with these environment variables. See this AR to see that search order and locations Vivado will perform to try to find a valid license for an IP Core: https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/42508.html

If multiple licenses available/found, like a Full license, Hardware_Eval, Design_Linking, Vivado will then need to identify a license that gives the highest level of operation for an application to be used first (see  AR https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/44024.html for the info in relation to "If a feature is licensed in multiple locations, which license takes precedence?").

Therefore, as you can see, there is a good amount of scans and checks that Vivado needs to perform before identifying the right license to be used for your core. And if you have tonnes of licenses on the Server or pointing to many servers using both XILINXD_LICENSE_FILE and LM_LICENSE_FILE environment variables, then the behaviour (tool freeze) that you are seeing is expected here. And that would explain why unsetting these XILINXD_LICENSE_FILE and LM_LICENSE_FILE environment variables, solves the issue for you.

For the examination, please share your Xinfo.txt report, which can be generated by running the "report_environment –file xinfo.txt" command in Vivado TCL console. With that, I will then  be able to comment further on this matter.

Hope the above is clear.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
24 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi @johnfrye11,

I do not believe that this is a known issue.

When you installed on the second machine, did you use the same install download? Is it possible that your download/unpack was corrupted?

Can you verify the MD5 value?

Can you re-install and check to see if there are any warnings or errors?

I am not sure that this is a license issue, but you run into an issue when you only use evaluation licenses? 

Regards,

Sam

Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

Xilinx Video Design Hub
0 Kudos
Scholar watari
Scholar

Jump to solution

Hi @johnfrye11

I'm not sure that it seems license issue.

Do you have an evaluation license or a purchased license ?

If no, would you prepare  an evaluation license at least ?

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

@watari

@samk

It can not be a licensing issue. I was able to get temp licenses for the HDMI IP, and the same issue still occurs. I also doubt it is a corrupted install. We have now tried it on three hosts, two were running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and one was running 12.04 LTS. Do you have any Ubuntu hosts you could use to try to reproduce the issue? Is it possible that it is simply an issue with the tool?

0 Kudos
Scholar watari
Scholar

Jump to solution

Hi @johnfrye11

Our host is running CentOS6, CentOS7 and Windows 10. Also we can customize HDMI and DisplayPort with temporal license.

FYI.

Best regards,

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

HI @johnfrye11,

This is not because you have valid license that this is not an issue with licensing.

When you add the HDMI IP, the tool will look if you have the IP available. In some case, it there is too much to check or if the server is too slow for access it can be really long.

Did you try to put the license on the local machine and point to the folder in Vivado Licence Manager?

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

That was what I did. I was able to download the temp license then point the XLM to it, and it recognized it.

xillicenses.png

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @johnfrye11,

Could you show the "Manage License Search PAths" page? Please try to point to the license location in XILINXD_LICENCE_FILE filed. If possible, do not use the .Xilinx default folder.

Florent
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Hey @florentw

The XILINXD_LICENSE_FILE environment variable points to the license server for my school which my professor tells me has a number of licenses that were purchased during the 2016.4 version. Do you need the node name? I will probably have to ask my professor before sharing it.

Also note that those paths are not in the GUI, I have added them to my. bashrc on my Ubuntu platform. 

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

HI @johnfrye11,

If you do not want to share XILINXD_LICENSE_FILE only make sure you create a new folder local in your machine (ex /hone/lic) for the HDMI lic and point to it in the XILINXD_LICENSE_FILE env variable

Florent
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @johnfrye11,

Do you have any updates on this?

If your question is answered or your issue is solved, please kindly mark the response which helped as solution (click on "Accept as solution" buton below the reply)

If this is not solved/answered, please reply in the topic giving more information on your current status.

Thanks and Regards,

Florent
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Hello, I am still seeing this issue.

I have read the User Guides and it appears in the example designs, they configure the HDMI RX/TX in the IP Catalog, then they create the board design and add it without trying to re-configure the block IP in the board design file. Is it supposed to be impossible to configure these IP after they have been added to the .bd schematic, like you would for an IP like Zynq MPSoC block?

My licenses appear up-to-date for these cores

licenses_nov.png

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

HI @johnfrye11,

It is possible to edit the core in the Block Design, there should be no limitation (unless the tool does not find the license)

Florent
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

@florentw

Is there a way in Vivado to check whether or not it finds the license? On startup, I notice that it takes a long time to register the .xci files associated with the HDMI RX/TX IP. However, in the XLM, as shown in the last post, it does appear that the licenses for these cores are valid.

Here is the list of all licenses. Some do appear to be expired, although I was not aware that the SDK and Vivado HLS were licensed tools. 

licenses_full.png

Thanks.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

HI @johnfrye11,

There was a license but they are now free and might be used with webpack license.

To check if the license can be find, find the IP in the IP catalog > right click and click license status

Florent
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

@florentw

It looks like it is finding a 2017.10 license. I am not sure how to reconcile this with what I am seeing in the 2018.2 XLM. Why is it pointing to an old version license? Could this be causing the issues I am seeing in Vivado?

old_lic.png

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @johnfrye11,

Yes I have already seen issue when there are multiple license. Could you try to delete this license?

Florent
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

licbuiltin.png

@florentw It says its built in. How do I eliminate it? I cannot simply unlink a Xilinx.lic file. If it is built-in, it will still be there, right?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @johnfrye11,

This is only a design linking. Thus it shouldn't mess with the other license. I am not sure why the limit date is 2017.10. You might have another version of vivado installed.

So in this case it just means Vivado is not able to detect the license. Make sure you point directly to the location folder in the XILINXD field of VLM

Florent
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

@florentw

When you say, "Make sure you point directly to the location folder in the XILINXD field of VLM"

I am not sure exactly how to do that. I thought I did point it to the .lic I got from the licensing site. That is why it is listed. It says version limit of 2019.09. I actually deleted all my local .lic files, but that license is still listed in VLM. Should I redownload that license?

v_hdmi_lic.png

I find it strange that it is still there because I deleted the file /home/jfrye/Downloads/Xilinx.lic as well as Xilinx2.lic and Xilinx3.lic

v_hdmi_lic_inc.png

It looks like Vivado has an included v_hdmi license as well, but the version limit on that license is 2018.06 and I am using Vivado version 2018.2, so perhaps that is why it is no registering? Also, when I open VLM2018.2 that 2017.1 license is not listed. When I open VLM 2017.3 that license is listed. When I open Vivado 2018.2 and look in IP Catalog at the HDMI licenses, the most recent one listed is the 2017.1 that I see in the 2017.3 VLM, even though I am using the most recent version of the tool. I am not sure why the 2018.06 license is not appearing in Vivado version 2018.2.

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

@florentw

I think I figured it out. I had two environment variables in my ~/.bashrc pointing to license servers from my school.

XILINXD_LICENSE_FILE and LM_LICENSE_FILE. When I comment them out and open a new shell and run Vivado, I am able to reconfigure the IPs. 

I uncomment them, open a new shell, and run Vivado from that shell, and I cannot reconfigure the IPs. The tool just freezes. There's probably a legitimate explanation, but I can tell you that this seems to be the root of the problem.

Jump to solution

Hi @anatoli,

Could you comment on this behaviour related to licensing?

Thanks,

Florent
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hello @johnfrye11,

Firs of all, in Vivado, when you do the License Status check for an IP, here you see an exact name of the licensing feature (v_hdmi in this case) and then a minimum version limit required (2017.10) for this particular IP Core. At this stage it doesn't tell you what license was actually found by the tool, and only shows you what is required.

23.PNG

However, if you click on OK, on the next page, here you can see what was actually found for this IP, e.g.:24.PNG:

In my example above, since I don't have a valid v_hdmi license, the tool selects Design_Linking license that comes pre-built with Vivado installation.

In your case, I would expect to see e.g. "Hardware_Eval" here instead of Design_Linking. Can you confirm on this please?

Now, in relation to the XILINXD_LICENSE_FILE and LM_LICENSE_FILE, if these environments are both set (by the way, you only meant to set XILINXD_LICENSE_FILE for any Xilinx related licenses ONLY and no need to set LM_LICENSE_FILE, as LM_LICENSE_FILE is meant to be used for other non-Xilinx related license vendors), and if if these are both set to point to the same server or servers, all you are doing here is increasing the time it takes to find a valid license for this IP Core.

Please note that if these XILINXD_LICENSE_FILE and LM_LICENSE_FILE environment variables are both set, Vivado will be forced to scan all of your Node-Locked licenses available on this machine, then all of the servers you've pointed to with these environment variables. See this AR to see that search order and locations Vivado will perform to try to find a valid license for an IP Core: https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/42508.html

If multiple licenses available/found, like a Full license, Hardware_Eval, Design_Linking, Vivado will then need to identify a license that gives the highest level of operation for an application to be used first (see  AR https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/44024.html for the info in relation to "If a feature is licensed in multiple locations, which license takes precedence?").

Therefore, as you can see, there is a good amount of scans and checks that Vivado needs to perform before identifying the right license to be used for your core. And if you have tonnes of licenses on the Server or pointing to many servers using both XILINXD_LICENSE_FILE and LM_LICENSE_FILE environment variables, then the behaviour (tool freeze) that you are seeing is expected here. And that would explain why unsetting these XILINXD_LICENSE_FILE and LM_LICENSE_FILE environment variables, solves the issue for you.

For the examination, please share your Xinfo.txt report, which can be generated by running the "report_environment –file xinfo.txt" command in Vivado TCL console. With that, I will then  be able to comment further on this matter.

Hope the above is clear.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Ok, so you are right about the eval license. When the environment variables are not set, this is what comes up when I hit OK in the IP Licensing information window.

without_env.png

However, when I uncomment the environment variables, then go through the same menu, before I get to the window shown above, the tool freezes indefinitely trying to contact license server.

I also ran the requested command with the environment variables left in the .bashrc. I attached the output.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hello @johnfrye11,

Thanks for the info.

I see 1 issue here:

You have your LM_LICENSE_FILE set as follows:

LM_LICENSE_FILE=7171@license03.coe.drexel.edu,2837@license02.coe.drexel.edu

Please note that you'd only use comma to separate between the servers if you are dealing with 3-mode redundant servers, however in your case, since there are only 2 out 3 servers pointed here, I believe you are not dealing with triple mode redundancy here?

25.PNG

Therefore, if you are not dealing with 3-mode redundancy, since this is a Linux Ubuntu OS, please separate these with colon ( : ) in between, instead of comma (,) , as this is how you must set your XILINXD_LICENSE_FILE and/or LM_LICENSE_FILE environment variables when you are pointing to multiple Non-redundant servers, e.g.:

LM_LICENSE_FILE=7171@license03.coe.drexel.edu:2837@license02.coe.drexel.edu

I have a feeling that the tool is trying to detect and establish the connections of your 3-mode redundant servers, and that adds the delay, as it can't detect the 3rd server, as you currently pointing to 2 our of 3 triple-redundant servers. 

So, if you are not dealing with 3-mode redundancy, separate these with colon instead.

Also, as well as doing the above, try clearing your licensing cache by removing $HOME/.flexlmrc file. Then try again and see if you are still seeing the same behaviour or not?

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support