UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer msattine
Observer

What will happen if MIPI RX pixel format is different from MIPI TX pixel format?

Jump to solution

Hi, I am trying to capture MIPI data using MIPI CSI 2 RX subsystem. The TX device supports different pixel formats which is programmable. Whereas RX IP can be configured in one of the formats. My intention is to use one image for all the formal types.

Is it ok to fix RX configuration to RAW8 and then add extra decode stage on AXI stream output based on TX pixel format?

Regards,

Mohan.

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: What will happen if MIPI RX pixel format is different from MIPI TX pixel format?

Jump to solution

Hello Mohan @msattine 
Thank you for sharing your usecace. Yes your understanding is correct.

1. We do not support Data-type video format setting modification on-the-fly since will make the IP resource increased a lot.
We had internal discussion to support this in the future, but no milestone for now.
2. The only solution you we can provide to you, is to use MIPI CSI-2 RX IP without VFB.
3. Without VFB, received MIPI data will not be unpacked.
So you will received 32-bit packed data. You need to design external Unpack module yourselves.

Thanks & regards
Leo

6 Replies

Re: What will happen if MIPI RX pixel format is different from MIPI TX pixel format?

Jump to solution

Hi @msattine,

MIPI TX and MIPI RX are separate IP's. As long as each of their requirements are handled then what happens between the two is fine.

I am assuming that you are talking about the MIPI CSI-2 RX and the MIPI DSI TX. Take a look at the example shown in chapter 5 of PG232

-Sam

Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

Xilinx Video Design Hub
Observer msattine
Observer

Jump to solution

Hi Sam,

In my case TX is radar sensor. I am only using IP as RX to capture data. So my question is if TX is confiured for one format and RX is configured for a different format will the capture work fine? 

Regards,

Mohan.

Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hello @msattine 

Could you please give us more detailed example on the Data Type you are using ?
Perhaps some Video Forum users in the forum can give you appropriate guidance.

Thanks & regards
Leo

0 Kudos
Observer msattine
Observer

Jump to solution

Hi Leo,

The said sensor supports formats RAW8, RAW14, RAW7, RAW12, RAW6, YUV420, YUV422, RGB565, etc.. Whereas Xilinx IP I believe can only be configured for one of the formats and its not run time programmable (please correct me if I am wrong).

So, if this is the case I am trying to understand if it is ok to set RX in RAW8 format, capture data and decode it based on TX pixel format.

Regards,

Mohan.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hello Mohan @msattine 
Thank you for sharing your usecace. Yes your understanding is correct.

1. We do not support Data-type video format setting modification on-the-fly since will make the IP resource increased a lot.
We had internal discussion to support this in the future, but no milestone for now.
2. The only solution you we can provide to you, is to use MIPI CSI-2 RX IP without VFB.
3. Without VFB, received MIPI data will not be unpacked.
So you will received 32-bit packed data. You need to design external Unpack module yourselves.

Thanks & regards
Leo

Observer msattine
Observer

Jump to solution

Hi Leo,

Thanks for the response.

Regards,

Mohan.

0 Kudos