UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Xilinx TRD 2015.4 Disable EDID detection and set custom resolution

Jump to solution

Hi,

We are working on Xilinx 2015.4 TRD as a base design. We have integrated our design changes in the hardware and verified that the functionality is correct. When the monitor is not connected to HDMI out (ADV7511) then the console (/dev/fb0) defaults to 1024x768. I can not find where this default resolution is configured- in kernel or device tree (want to modify this to a custom resolution). Once the monitor is connected, EDID file from the monitor is used to set the resolution of fb0. We do not want the EDID detection and want to set the resolution to 3200x1800 (QHD+). How can we do this? I have tried fbset to set aforementioned resolution but I can not set resolution above the maximum resolution supported by attached monitor (which is 2048x1152). Also we do not want the necessity of attaching a monitor to set the resolution of fb0.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Xilinx TRD 2015.4 Disable EDID detection and set custom resolution

Jump to solution

HI @vivekporush92,

From my understanding there is no limitation on the HW. The limitation is on you linux because it is taking the HDMI as reference for the DRM, thus you are limited by it.

You might need to create your own driver in DRM for the LVDS output.

Regards,

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
7 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi @vivekporush92,

Which TRD are you using? If it is on ZC702, I do not think you can do over 1080p with the ADV7511... so this is probably one of the issue you are facing

Regards,

Florent
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @florentw,

Thanks for replying.

I am using ZC702 TRD 2015.4 on Xilinx ZC702 evaluation board. As mentioned earlier, I have modified both PS & PL part of the design to include our custom design. I have also verified the functionality of these modifications and everything works fine.

1080p limitation - I can confirm that we can do more that 1920x1080@60Hz (1080p) resolution on ADV7511(&ZC702) as I have already tested (modified) TRD with 2048x1152@60 Hz (2K) resolution. This is done by basically modifying the kernel to use a custom EDID file with 2048x1152@60 Hz resolution so the framebuffer size and timing parameters are set even when no display is attached (also forcing the HDMI on). I have made a custom application to show contents from SDcard on to HDMI. This application does not use anything from TRD application stack. When a display of 2048x1152@60 Hz is attached I can see that everything is displayed correctly and it works fine. Sorry, I might be missing some details here but where is it mentioned (documentation) that ADV7511(& ZC702) can only do up to 1080p?

Next, when I try to set the framebuffer to 3200x1800 (QHD+) resolution, it fails. Kernel message from drm module says that it did receive EDID information and set the resolution correctly. However when checking the framebuffer parameter through ioctl call the returned resolution is 1152x648?? I think I might have a bug in my EDID file. Any ideas are appreciated.

Please advise.

Thanks,

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @vivekporush92,

From the first page of the ADV7511 HW user guide:

ADV7511.PNG

You can do up to UXGA (1600*1200). And the ADV7511 only supports HDMI 1.4

I am not sure how you can get up to 2048x1152@60 Hz but I am quite sure you won't be able to do more

Florent
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @florentw,

Thanks for your reply.

Thanks for pointing out the limitation with ADV7511. However, it does makes sense as my Modeline (Linux) parameters for 2048x1152@60Hz resolution were - clock 162.000 MHz, 2048 2074 2154 2250 hborder 0 1152 1153 1156 1200 vborder 0 +hsync +vsync. Looks like I was able to do this resolution and verify on monitor as my clock was just under 165.0 MHz.

Next question -

My design currently reads in data from SDcard and puts it in framebuffer in memory and then xylon logiCVC-ML in PL reads this data and outputs it on to HDMI and FMC. Data routed to FMC is first converted to LVDS (in PL) as I have a LVDS Display connected to the FMC. So the current application shows SDcard content on HDMI as well as LVDS display attached to the FMC connector. The LVDS display's resolution is such that it needs atleast 1800 lines so the framebuffer needs to be set to a custom size say 1920x1800@60Hz. I can use any higher resolutions for framebuffer as I can always draw a smaller resolution within this framebuffer. My question is that is there any other limitation on ZC702 (memory, SOC,clock) that would limit me in doing so? I get it that I will not be able to drive HDMI display but I don't have to as I just want to use the display data (atleast 1920x1800@60Hz) on HDMI interface to convert (into LVDS) and route it to LVDS display attached to FMC. If there is any other limitation on ZC702, can you please suggest any alternative board(s) that would be able to support this resolution and functionality?

I am not sure why the framebuffer size and timing can not be set to higher resolution (i.e 1920x1800 or 2880x1800 or 3200x1800 @60H) in the current design. As mentioned in the earlier message when setting 3200x1800@60Hz size on framebuffer, kernel message reports that the resolution is set up correctly but the ioctl call returns 1152x648 on framebuffer! Shouldn't the linux kernel be able to set up the framebuffer with this size correctly and then HDMI port fail due to the limitation on ADV7511 (but the LVDS display on FMC still work)?

Any advice is appreciate.

Thanks,

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

HI @vivekporush92,

From my understanding there is no limitation on the HW. The limitation is on you linux because it is taking the HDMI as reference for the DRM, thus you are limited by it.

You might need to create your own driver in DRM for the LVDS output.

Regards,

Florent

Jump to solution

HI @vivekporush92,

Do you have any updates on this?

Is everything clear for you? If yes, could you kindly close the topic by marking a reply as accepted solution?

Thanks

Florent
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

HI @florentw,

Thank you for your help. This issue is resolved now. As pointed out by you, to do any resolution higher that the clock limit on ADV7511 I have to change the DRM from HDMI to a new firmware (LVDS in this case). However, currently I managed to do the required resolution on HDMI by designing a new EDID file with required resolution. Basically you can do any resolution under the 165MHz limit of ADV7511 as long as your display driver can understand the signals and support that timing. Since I am using a custom resolution I can't see a proper image on HDMI out but display attached to LVDS shows up correctly.

Thanks again for your support.