UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Voyager
Voyager

ZCU106: MIPI RX example

Jump to solution

Hello, 

I would like to have MIPI RX example for ZCU106 as in the vivado it just displays fro ZCU102 and because of license issue, it fails to load. 

Capture.PNG

I am lookign for example for with bare metal platform (without operating system).

It will be a great help if someone can point me to this example for ZCU106.

Thank you in advance 

Best regards 

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: ZCU106: MIPI RX example

Jump to solution

HI @msh,

It was discussed in this topic:

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Video/MIPI-interface-Technology-Development-issues-green-display-on/td-p/874829

This is because there is no White Balance block implemented. Xilinx does not have one. You might want to do your own or look at our partners.

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
28 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hello @msh

For MIPI CSI-2 RX, we only have example design for US+ that target ZCU102.

Our development team has a plan to add an Example design targeting 7-series board for future Vivado release.

But I do not think we have a milestone for Exampe design targeting ZCU106 board.

If you are trying to use ZCU106 board, then I suggest you to generate the example design using ZCU102.

You will need to modify the pin-assignment though.

If you have license issue, you can try to use evaluation license for a specific IP you do not have.

Thanks & regards

Leo

Jump to solution

Hi @msh,

You should be able to use the VCU TRD as reference. It has a MIPI RX on ZCU106

Florent
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @msh

If your question is answered or your issue is solved, please kindly mark the response which helped as solution (click on "Accept as solution" buton below the reply)

If this is not solved/answered, please reply in the topic giving more information on your current status.

Thanks and Regards,

Florent
0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

Hello, 

Yes, it works with changing only PIN configuration.

I would like to know why the video output is green in color?

Best regards 

Jump to solution

HI @msh,

It was discussed in this topic:

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Video/MIPI-interface-Technology-Development-issues-green-display-on/td-p/874829

This is because there is no White Balance block implemented. Xilinx does not have one. You might want to do your own or look at our partners.

Florent
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

There is another question 

I connect a monitor on HDMI output, which supports 4K at 60Hz. But when changing the resolution to 4k 60Hz in the program it throws an error that "HDMI is not configured for 4k 60 Hz resolution". on the other hand 4k 30Hz works.

May I know what could be a problem.

Best regards

Jump to solution

HI @msh,

I am not sure about the issue here but it might just be that the design was made for 4k30 as this is the maximum the MPSoC DP can do (so HDMI could have been aligned)

Florent
0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

The TRD from xilinx can support 4k 60 hz

http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/Zynq+UltraScale%EF%BC%8B+MPSoC+VCU+TRD+2018.2+-+Design+Module+4\

I am not sure what difference can be there between them.

Jump to solution

Hi @msh,

Are you using command line? The GUI is not supported for 4k60

Florent
0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

I am using example project for mipi_csi2_rx_subsystem_0 (generated from vivado). This example works with bare metal but only till 4k 30hz whereas there is an option in the software to set to 4k 60hz. When I set to 4k 60hz it shows me an error that HDMI cannot be configured for this resolution.

I was comparing this project with TRD. where the HDMI implementation work for 4k 60hz. Hence I would like to know what could be the difference between them. So that I can make changes and run this project for 4k 60hz.

Best regards 

Jump to solution

Hi @msh,

I believe this is the way they have been designed. You might want to check all the IPs to make sure they were configured for 4K30.

You can always try to build the TRD HW design and compare both

Florent
0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

Hello 

I am able to configure the example for 4k 60 Hz. Please see the attachment doc for it

Still there is a little problem,

I need to set the resolution to 4k 30Hz and then go into menu option to set to 4k 60Hz. This  make it work

Any suggestion how to solve it.

Best regards 

Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Hello @msh

I am very eager to get your help.

I am working with MIPI CSI-2 RX IP. I want to migrate the CSI-2 RX subsystem example design to my ZCU104 FPGA board. I looked at the block design of the zcu104 base trd block design and made the corresponding PIN configuration in the MIPI RX example design and I  can pass the synthesis without errors. 

PG232 suggests download the tcl file instead of bitstream to the board. But the tcl file is designed for ZCU102 board and it would report some errors when i download the tcl file to ZCU102 board.

微信截图_20190815144835.png

So I downloaded the bitstream instead of tcl file to the board. But I coundn't get any output from hdmi. I want to know how do you get the video output. Did you solve the error when downing the tcl file? Or is it the result of my missing some steps?

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

hi @ivanfan 

I didnt download tcl file.

I flash the bit stream. But there will not be any output if there is no software to configure HDMI, MIPI or other IP cores. You must run baremetal on one of the processor RPU/APU. This will configure the IP cores and then only there will be output.

check the example you are following have a baremetal.

Best regards 

Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Thank you very much for your kind help. I am sorry to bother you again.

I am just a beginner in xilinx fpga. Does running baremetal on one of the processor RPU/APU  mean run the  xmipi_example automatically generated in sdk on one of the processor? Or is there an easier way?

微信截图_20190903175456.png

0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

yes 

try to run this one of the processor

Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Thank you for your guidance.

I can run the program now. But program displayed information as follow. It seems that I didn't set the correct pin assignment. 

Would you like to share the pin assignment with me? Thank you in advance.

微信截图_20190904185645.png

0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

I am working on ZCU106 

I dont know how much helpful will these ZCU106 pins could be. 

Please check PL I2C connection to sensor. you have to set i2c pins also to sensor fmc. Further you should chek sensor reset pins.

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

I checked the pin assignment again according to the zcu104 trd project and still could not find out any errors. Maybe I can find out some problems in my project referring to the zcu106 pin assignment. Would you like to give me a screenshot of the pin assignment or share the xdc file? Thank you sincerely.

微信截图_20190904213257.png

微信截图_20190904213336.png

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Hi @msh. I am sorry to bother you again.

The SDK project of the MIPI Rx example is designed for ZCU102, so the psu_init file is not applicable to my ZCU104. The reason why the xmipi program could not detect the sensor might be that I used the psu_init file in the ZCU104 TRD project instead. Maybe you can share your psu_init file with me so I can have a try. Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

When you export hardware from vivaildo and then launch sdk from vivado then this will create a hardware  platform folder in SDK. There you will find your init files.

Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Hi @msh 

I already exported the hardware from vivaildo but the psu_init file was still not applicable. I looked at the zcu104 trd project and found that the settings for zynqmp cpu ip are quite different from the mipi rx example project. I wonder that did you make any change to the zynqmp ip setting in addition to modifying the pin assignment? Here are ddr configurations of zcu104 trd project and mipi rx example project as follow. 

微信截图_20190906130917.pngmipi example design微信截图_20190906131039.pngzcu104 trd project

0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

Hi

May I know if you did the following 

1. Create example project from mipi ip based on zcu102 

2. In the new project change the settings. Where you chnage your board to zcu104. This will automatically set correct ddr4 configuration for you.

3. Adapt the pins of mipi ip. Open the ip and select the pins and its io bank 

4. If you have extra bg pins from mipi ip just connect it to any  external input pin

5. Configure the pin assignment for hdmi and other io ports and clock. Make sure that your system differential in put pin is on right io. Also sensor reset and i2c.

6. Generate the out put product. 

7. Generate bit stream 

8. Export to SDK 

9  make fsbo

10. Make hello world project and import src from mipi project to this project except platform files and linker script. 

11. Now the project will run. 

Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

I forget to mention. That you must run report ip status and upgrade them after changing the board settings.

Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Hi @msh 

Thank you for your patient answer and help in these days. I am very thankful that you have not been angry and bored because of my frequent interruptions. The steps you mentioned aboved are what I have tried befored. 

微信截图_20190906160454.png

This project has cost me almost a month and I still can not fix the error which make I am very desperate now.  If conditions permit, would you like to zip your mipi project and send it to my email address ivansongyifan@gmail.com or 891112568@qq.com. I can take it as a reference.

I am very sorry to ask such an unreasonable request. But I am at a loss now. I am very eager to get your help. Thank you.

0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

due to my company policy I cnanot share project. 

My board is ZCU106

in the attachment you can find IO excel sheet

my DDR4 configuration 

Capture.PNG

Try the below 

1. make tready to mipi IP AXIS stream 1 always 

2. put debug ports on AXIS signal from MIPI IP 

3. compile the project 

4. run the baremetal 

5. see if you see some signal in the debug. If no signal then MIPI IP is not working or connected proerly. 

NOTE: to make MIPI IP work the pins should be correct and reset sensor shoudl toggel from 0 to 1 and i2c shoudl configure and start the sensor. All these are threre in the baremetal. make sure that they are executed.

Got step by step and see which IP isnt working good. Also 

I also donto know from where you get your clock connection i.e. pin F23

you need clock 300 for this design 

Capture.PNG

Please adapt all IO pins.

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Hi @msh

I found that I used the xmipi program that is automatically generated by example projetc. This may be the cause of connecting the camrea failed. I would like to ask how to import src from mipi project to the helloword project except platform files and linker script as you mentioned above. I don't know which are the platform files and linker scripts.

微信截图_20190909141355.png

0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

make a ne wproject hello world with your platform fsbl or new fsbl with your platform

delete helloworld.c

right click project and import (file system). All the files from mipi example except files name starting with "platform_" and lscript.ld.

0 Kudos