UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer xiaoqunhua
Observer

video phy controller RX PLL selection question

Jump to solution

I am using the VIDEO PHY Controller core in a new design of HDMI 2.0.

My object camera solution is 1920*1440@30fps,so the TMDS clock is 1920*1440*30/10^6=82.944MHz.

Is this correct?

Because the NI-DRU is enabled when RX TMDS clock is below 100MHz(use CPLL) or below 61.25MHz(use QPLL)on XCKU040.

But there is no 156.25MHz DRU clock in my board,

so i want to change the RX PLL to QPLL, then there is no need DRU clock.

When i use a camera whose solution is 1920*1080@60fps,

My design is on with HDMI reference design in which RX PLL is CPLL.

But my design is down(TX can't work when RX is up)after changing the RX PLL to QPLL and the TX PLL to CPLL only.

Why is this coming? What can i do to make TX up?

Thanks

xiao

RX PLL&TX PLL.png
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: video phy controller RX PLL selection question

Jump to solution

HI @xiaoqunhua

1920*1440@60fpos is a valid CEA format  (30 fps format is not listed in CEA timing tables which we use).
Are you registering this customer resolution? (AR68227)

Also for pixel clock calculation , you have to use HTOTAL*VTOTAL*framerate , not the HACTIVE *VACTIVE*frame rate.
Hence calculate the pixel clock frequency   for the input resolution correctly . and check whether it falls in the supported range QPLL0 or QPLL1  (refer page 52 ,53 of PG230  vid phy guide). and then  choose the appropriate QPLL.

Thanks
Bharath
--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------
Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided addresses your query/concern.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
--------------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Firstly 1920*1440@30fps isn't a standard Video format defined in CEA-861-F spec.

When TX uses CPLL, the TMDS clock frequency is below the supported range, it uses oversampling to make reference clock frequency falls into the supported range. The oversampling factor can only be 3 or 5

Observer xiaoqunhua
Observer

Jump to solution

My input solution is 1920*1440@30fps,but output solution is 3840*2160@30fps.

So TX PLL isn't a problem, if i can solve NI-DRU problem.

Can i change the RX PLL to QPLL and the TX PLL to CPLL to do this?

Thanks

xiao

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

I can't see any reason that prevents you using QPLL as RX PLL and CPLL as TX PLL. Since v2016.3, you can generate HDMI example design by using "Open IP Example Design". I don't know why you use TX-QPLL RX-CPLL settings to generate example design. If you want to use CPLL at TX side, it's better to start with the example which has the right settings.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

HI @xiaoqunhua

1920*1440@60fpos is a valid CEA format  (30 fps format is not listed in CEA timing tables which we use).
Are you registering this customer resolution? (AR68227)

Also for pixel clock calculation , you have to use HTOTAL*VTOTAL*framerate , not the HACTIVE *VACTIVE*frame rate.
Hence calculate the pixel clock frequency   for the input resolution correctly . and check whether it falls in the supported range QPLL0 or QPLL1  (refer page 52 ,53 of PG230  vid phy guide). and then  choose the appropriate QPLL.

Thanks
Bharath
--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------
Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided addresses your query/concern.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
--------------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

now  HDMI change rx's cpll to QPLL and tx's qpll to cpll, rx is up, but tx is not up, SDK can auto adjust it for QPLL and CPLL?

0 Kudos