UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Contributor

zcu106 SDI:Color Format 4:2:2,Color Depth 10bpc

When building VCU project on zcu106, the color Format in VCU is 4:2:0, the color Depth is 8 bpc, and now the decoding Color Format is 4:2:2, and the color Depth is 10 bpc. The video signal input and output interface is 12G-SDI interface. How to Set up Software Configuration in Linux System for PS? Who has handled it this way?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies

Re: zcu106 SDI:Color Format 4:2:2,Color Depth 10bpc

HI @shengdishd ,

I am not sure what you are asking exactly. Did you build your own design? Could you share some screenshot of your BD + IP configuration?

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

The VCU and video mixer IP cores are set as follows in the zcu106,the bit stream generated by the synthesis of the FPGA project by setting the parameters in this way, the image file is generated by petalinux to store the SD card. Start the zcu106 board to decode the video signal with 420 color format and 8bpc color depth,but can't decode other types of video signals(420 color format and 10bpc color depth,422 color format and 8bpc color depth). If I want to decode other types of video signals, I need to modify those parts of the project.

0 Kudos

Hi @shengdishd ,

I believe the limitation comes from the video mixer.

Maybe start with the ZCU106 BSP which does not have a mixer. You should be able to decode more format.

Regards,

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, if the project does not have a mixer in the ZCU106, it should be able to decode more format. But I want to use SDI interface to output decoded video signal in the ZCU106, the project has to have a mixer IP. If I want to output multiple formats of video signals through SDI interface, how to modify the mixer IP core?

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hello Gentlemen,

If you look at the SDI-RX-TX example, you can use that to pipe capture 10-bit 4:2:2 from the "SCALER" that resides behind the SDI-RX interface. 

You will have to work with the "xmedia-ctl" command, unless you are using C/C++ to control your pipeline. 

I posted up a RX to TX data transfer example a few weeks ago, if that'll be of any help. 

Let me know. 

Kind Regards,
Peimann, S. M.
----
Toddlers are the Storm-Troopers of the Great God Entropy.
Physics: Not Just a Good Idea, It's THE LAW.
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Peimann,

You posted up a RX to TX data transfer example a few weeks ago. You give me this example, And let me refer to it.

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Good Morning @shengdishd,

If you look at my various questions, I'm having a difficult time with 4:2:2 ten-bit video work. 

It is possible, but the process is relatively painful. 

Part of the problem that I've had is that the GStreamer version which comes with the Petalinux install is v1.12.2, which does not strongly support ten bit (NV16_10LE32) formatting throughout the data stream.  I've read some of the more recent GStreamer source (v1.16), and differences between the versions - there have been quite a few changes. 

That said, the SDI output is controlled through the Linux DRM interface.  At a command-line level, you can use the modetest program to specify output modes. 

I usually use this for set of options for 1k video:

modetest -M xlnx -s 36:1920x1080-60@YUYV  -w 36:sdi_mode:2 -w 36:sdi_data_stream:2 -w 36:is_frac:0

And this is what I use for 4k video:

modetest -M xlnx -s 36:3840x2160-60@YUYV  -w 36:sdi_mode:5 -w 36:sdi_data_stream:8 -w 36:is_frac:0

I know that there are a bunch of other configurations, it really depends on the SDI monitor that you're communicating with. 

Good luck my friend!

Kind Regards,
Peimann, S. M.
----
Toddlers are the Storm-Troopers of the Great God Entropy.
Physics: Not Just a Good Idea, It's THE LAW.
0 Kudos