cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Dualport ROM

I have a made a VHDL module for a dualport ram which I have used in several projects over the years and it works amyzingly well. I am now trying to convert this to a ROM but I get some errors:

I have used a shared variable and two process for my RAM but if I remove the write-ports I get: ERROR:Xst:2073 - Unexpected use of shared variable <ram>

I then change my shared variable to a regular signal and everything works fine except that it occupies twice as many BRAM cells. A dual-port ram with a shared variable takes 18 blocks but when I change it to a signal and remove the write ports, it consumes 36 blocks. Does anyone have a clue on this?

Regards

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Professor
Professor

It's not clear why XST cannot infer dual-port memory without a write port, but for a workaround

you could leave  the write port in the code, i.e. use the same dual-port RAM code you have now,

and just tie off the unused signals when you instantiate the RAM.

-- Gabor
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

ERROR Xst:2073 - Unexpected use of shared variable <conjunto_reg>.

I have the same problem, but only with spartan3a, xc3s700an... when I change the device the problem does not appear.

I am looking for the solution. Please if you have an Idea tell me... maybe together we can find a solution.

I tried using the language templates suggestions, but it does not work.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Five years later...

I came across a similar problem in Vivado 2015.2.

module DPROM(Clk,EN,A1,Q1,A2,Q2);

input Clk, EN;
input [11:0] A1, A2;
output reg [7:0] Q1=0, Q2=0;

reg [7:0] T[0:4095];
integer i;
initial for (i=0; i<4096; i=i+1) T[i] = (i * (i + 2)) ^ 8'h55; // it is unimportant what is written here always @(posedge Clk) if (EN) {Q1, Q2} <= {T[A1], T[A2]}; endmodule

In this example everything is ok: synthesis gives one RAMB36. But if initial values of output registers aren't equal among themselves synthesis gives two RAMB36s.

output reg [7:0] Q1=0, Q2=5;

In ISE14.x it works correctly.

0 Kudos