UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor m.eragh
Visitor

FPGA resources

I would like to get some information on FPGA resources, for example how many Slices  a 16 bit shift register consumes(in a specific FPGA family). Where is this kinda information available? I've seen lots of documents, but I cant find the appropriate one.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

Re: FPGA resources

In which FPGA device family are you interested?  If Virtex-6, for example, you might look in

• DS150 for "resources" capacity for each Virtex-6 family device.
  • UG364 for slice logic (including SRLs).
  • UG369 for DSP48E1 logic.
  • UG363 for Block Rams.
  • UG361 for IOB logic.

Are you using Document Navigator?  It's pretty handy for this kinda information retrieval.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Visitor m.eragh
Visitor

Re: FPGA resources

My target FPGA is Virtex-4. What is document navigator?

0 Kudos
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

DocNav

See the New Users Forum README thread.

For most current software and device families, Xilinx provides a software tool for finding and accessing useful documents.  This tool is called DocNav (Document Navigator), it installs on your PC, and you can download it with this .ZIP file link.

The Virtex-4 family docs are not included in the current DocNav library, but the software tools docs (which apply to all FPGA device families, including Virtex-4) are accessible from DocNav.

You can find Virtex-4 family documents online here.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: DocNav

Please note that the new DocNav 2012 is now part of IDS release. A standalone version can be downloaded from the download center below:

http://www.xilinx.com/support/download/index.htm 

@eteam00 wrote:

See the New Users Forum README thread.

For most current software and device families, Xilinx provides a software tool for finding and accessing useful documents.  This tool is called DocNav (Document Navigator), it installs on your PC, and you can download it with this .ZIP file link.

The Virtex-4 family docs are not included in the current DocNav library, but the software tools docs (which apply to all FPGA device families, including Virtex-4) are accessible from DocNav.

You can find Virtex-4 family documents online here.

-- Bob Elkind

Cheers,
Jim
0 Kudos