cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

How to deduce the proper RAM values if I implement a combinational logic in to BRAM?

Jump to solution

Hello,

I want to use a BRAM to implemente a logic block where only combinational logic (8 inputs and 32 outputs) exist.

My question, how to know the proper values that I need to write to the BRAM?  I cannot infer the values by analyzing this combinational logic block becasue it's a laborious work. Can I directly map this combinational logic into this BRAM, and then it automatically write proper values into proper RAM address?

Thanks very much !

Eric,  

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Instructor
Instructor

How to minimise tedium?

Jump to solution

There are three problems to overcome:

• Deriving the 256x32 (8-input, 32-output) set of logic functions.  Up to the point of Boolean logic expressions, this cannot be automated, it resides in your head.
  • Conversion from logic expressions to a syntax-correct memory .INIT text file.  As Ed McGett suggester, you can use the simulator to crank out the 32-bit memory words by stepping through the 256 input combinations.  Or you can use a spreadsheet to generate text output which can be readily re-formatted to proper source code form for synthesis.
  • Because the end product of this tedium is completely unreadable by humans, you will have to endure another round of tedium to verify the work.

Sometimes your job requires tedious work.  If you dearly want to avoid this tedium, then delegate this job to a newly-hired junior engineer or an unpaid intern.  Or hire one of your kids to do this, for allowance money.

I agree with the others who have suggested using ordinary logic expressions and LUTs rather than a BRAM with a data table.  The logic expressions are human readable and convey meaning without much effort.  The data table is impossible to review (for anyone except Neo), and every update to the source logic means the table must be re-generated and re-verified.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Highlighted
Historian
Historian

Re: How to deduce the proper RAM values if I implement a combinational logic in to BRAM?

Jump to solution

@bonita.h wrote:

Hello,

I want to use a BRAM to implemente a logic block where only combinational logic (8 inputs and 32 outputs) exist.

My question, how to know the proper values that I need to write to the BRAM?  I cannot infer the values by analyzing this combinational logic block becasue it's a laborious work. Can I directly map this combinational logic into this BRAM, and then it automatically write proper values into proper RAM address?

Thanks very much !

Eric,  

Time to review Karnaugh Maps.

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: How to deduce the proper RAM values if I implement a combinational logic in to BRAM?

Jump to solution

Block RAMs are synchronous and not combinatorial.

------Have you tried typing your question into Google? If not you should before posting.
Too many results? Try adding site:www.xilinx.com
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Hi,

thanks for your suggestion. But it's not a simple function. if the there is only 1 output, Karnaugh map is OK. But it has 32 outputs. Can you give me more hints?

I have a idea, that is to scan all the input combination and record the corresponding outputs. It seems ok, but I want to simplify this work, just want to know whether it's possible to directly map a combinational block into a BRAM (8-inputs, 32-output)

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Hi, mcgett,

In my work, a clock signal controls the BRAM. in each clock cycle, 8 bit values are inputted to the BRAM and the corresponding 32 bit outputs are got from the output of this BRAM.

Thanks ,

Eric,

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Guide
Guide

Jump to solution

The first question that comes to mind is "why?".

FPGAs are very efficient at implementing combinatorial logic in slice resources. Depending on how the tools choose to map these, they can be implemented in as little as 32 slices (one slice for each of the 32 outputs - the four 6-input LUTs and the wide MUXes in a slice can implement an arbitrary 8 input function). These will be naturally inferred from RTL code, and can probably be done in a couple of hundred picoseconds. If you need the output to be clocked (like the output of a BRAM would be), then one of the FFs in the slice would be used too.

This would generally be preferable to using a block RAM.

Avrum

Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

> In my work, a clock signal controls the BRAM. in each clock cycle

Ok, then you are implementing sequential logic, not combinatorial.

> But it has 32 outputs. Can you give me more hints?

The simple answer is 32 karnaugh maps, one for each output.

An 8 bit function is likely between 2-2.5 LUTs on average or less than 80 LUTs in total.  I would suggest that you just let the synthesizer do the work and if you really have a timing problem then to explore the use of a BlockRAM.

If creating the values by hand is too much work then just let the simulator do it for you by going through the 256 possible combinations.

------Have you tried typing your question into Google? If not you should before posting.
Too many results? Try adding site:www.xilinx.com
Highlighted
Instructor
Instructor

How to minimise tedium?

Jump to solution

There are three problems to overcome:

• Deriving the 256x32 (8-input, 32-output) set of logic functions.  Up to the point of Boolean logic expressions, this cannot be automated, it resides in your head.
  • Conversion from logic expressions to a syntax-correct memory .INIT text file.  As Ed McGett suggester, you can use the simulator to crank out the 32-bit memory words by stepping through the 256 input combinations.  Or you can use a spreadsheet to generate text output which can be readily re-formatted to proper source code form for synthesis.
  • Because the end product of this tedium is completely unreadable by humans, you will have to endure another round of tedium to verify the work.

Sometimes your job requires tedious work.  If you dearly want to avoid this tedium, then delegate this job to a newly-hired junior engineer or an unpaid intern.  Or hire one of your kids to do this, for allowance money.

I agree with the others who have suggested using ordinary logic expressions and LUTs rather than a BRAM with a data table.  The logic expressions are human readable and convey meaning without much effort.  The data table is impossible to review (for anyone except Neo), and every update to the source logic means the table must be re-generated and re-verified.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Re: How to minimise tedium?

Jump to solution

Hi Bob,

My work seems strange. Actually, I want to implemente the combinational part of a crypto-block by using BRAM in order to reduce the logic glich, routing length, which are possibly leak the confidentical infromation in their power or EM characteristics.

I've understood, no shortcut exist. I will try to scan them.

Thanks,

Eric,

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Guide
Guide

Jump to solution

If this is really something you need to do...

The generation of the lookup table is, of course, tedious - which makes it an ideal problem to solve using a computer program!

In this case, you could write a program in any language (and Verilog/VHDL would certainly be capable of it), which can generate the SOURCE code for your FPGA. This code would consist of a for loop to iterate through the 256 possible input values, use a behavioural description of the function to be implemented (and hence generate the 32 bit output required for each combination), and use $display (or equivalent) statements to generate the truth table in a format readable by the FPGA implementation tools.

If using XST, then the output of your verilog/vhdl program could be the case statement to put in an initial block to initialize the "ROM" - of the format  

$display("     %h:  out_val = %h", i, f(i));

where i is your loop variable (iterating over 0 to 255), and f is a function that describes the logic.

The output of this program (which would be run using a simulator - isim would be sufficient), would then be cut and pasted as the body of a case statement in your verilog source code for the FPGA.

Alternatively, you could use the same mechanism (a program generating output) to generate a .coe file for the block memory generator, which you can use to build this ROM including the initialization. Information on the .coe file is available in DS512.

Avrum

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Hi, Avrum,

Thanks a lot!  Very specific explanation.

I will try it very soon.

best regards,

Eric,   

0 Kudos