UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Contributor

How to protect my Virtex5 design without battery?

For certainreasons, I could not use battery on my board, so the Virtex5 bitstream encryptioncould not be used. In this situation, what could I do to protect my design on areasonable level?

My design hasVirtex5 and XCF16P, and the two devices are linked on JTAG chain, and I programXCF16P with my design through JTAG chain. I have set the security options inboth BitGen and iMPACT utilities, so I can prevent any JTAG readback/partialreconfiguration though JTAG chain. However I have the following questions:

1. Although inhardware, XCF16P will be disabled after configuration is done. But with minorfly wire modifications in hardware, the attacker could access XCF16P afterconfiguration. And I found that using the combination of USER_ACCESS_VIRTEX5 +STARTUP_VIRTEX5 could make FPGA read back data from XCF16P, it is possible?

2. Since Idisabled the possibility of reading back via JTAG, need I initiateBSCAN_VIRTEX5 + ICAP_VIRTEX5 and clear the entire FPGA once JTAG chain activityis found?

Thanks a lot!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Contributor
Contributor

Re: How to protect my Virtex5 design without battery?

Anybody help?
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi,

an alternative solution to bitstream encryption to protect your IP core is to implement Physical Unclonable Functions in your design. PUFs are a unique class of physical systems that extract secrets from complex physical characteristics of the integrated circuits which along with the properties of unclonability provide a highly secure means of generating volatile secret keys for cryptographic operations. It is a quite new topic for FPGA; you can google it or look at wikipedia. You'll find valuable information.

Regards

Mariano

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

I checked Physical Unclonable Functions, and I found it is quite new and could not be implemented immediately.

Now I have to deal with it quickly for the following production. 

0 Kudos