UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor korkikian
Visitor

IODelay fabric to fabric

Jump to solution

Hello,

I am trying to use IODELAY element to create pulse signal. Lets assume that the minimum pulse width is 10ns, however I need a resolution of 0.1ns. The initial idea was to use IODELAY internally to delay one signal, invert it and add with the initial signal. In this case I will have a required resolution.

I am using Virtex-5 FPGA board. According to the user manual (Table 7-6 IODELAY configuration supported) when IODELAY is in IDELAY mode then we can use fabric as a source for DATAIN and fabric as a destination of DATAOUT. I thought that I can give internally generated signal to IODELAY and get a delayed signal that can be used internally as well. Unfortunately, I could not make it.

Do you have any clue if I am completely lost in documentation and IODELAY can not be used in such way or there is another possible problem? I am instantinating IDELAYCTRL as well. DATAIN is supplied directly by the register output.

If you have any comments I would really appreciate it.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Visitor korkikian
Visitor

Re: IODelay fabric to fabric

Jump to solution

I finally could route IODELAY to work with internal signals. I had to double check the mapping since Xilinx tools connected ILOGIC and IODELAY directly instead of placing one register in between. That caused all the problems with constant low signal.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Visitor korkikian
Visitor

Jump to solution
Well, apparently documentation says: "The IODELAY can also be used to add additional static or variable delay to an internal
path (within the FPGA fabric). However, when IODELAY is used that way, this device is no longer available to
the associated I/O for input or output path delays." Does it mean that I can't use IOs anymore?
Instructor
Instructor

Jump to solution

@korkikian wrote:
Well, apparently documentation says: "The IODELAY can also be used to add additional static or variable delay to an internal
path (within the FPGA fabric). However, when IODELAY is used that way, this device is no longer available to
the associated I/O for input or output path delays." Does it mean that I can't use IOs anymore?

No, the IO is still available, but you can't use it with a delay.  Basically each IODELAY element is associated

with a particular IO.  If that IO doesn't need a delay, then its IODELAY should be available for use in the

fabric (haven't tried this myself).  On the other hand, if you don't need a lot of these IODELAYs, then you

might have enough unused IOs (including unbonded IOs) that you don't need to "steal" an IODELAY from

a pin you're using in the design.

-- Gabor
0 Kudos
Visitor korkikian
Visitor

Jump to solution

@gszakacs wrote:

No, the IO is still available, but you can't use it with a delay.  Basically each IODELAY element is associated

with a particular IO.  If that IO doesn't need a delay, then its IODELAY should be available for use in the

fabric (haven't tried this myself).  On the other hand, if you don't need a lot of these IODELAYs, then you

might have enough unused IOs (including unbonded IOs) that you don't need to "steal" an IODELAY from

a pin you're using in the design.

Thank you for replay.

Indeed, I could use IODELAY that routes fabric to fabric signal with the IDELAY_TYPE = "FIXED", however, when I switch to IDELAY_TYPE = "VARIABLE" then the signal is always logic 0.

At the moment I am trying to understand this problem =)

0 Kudos
Visitor korkikian
Visitor

Jump to solution

I finally could route IODELAY to work with internal signals. I had to double check the mapping since Xilinx tools connected ILOGIC and IODELAY directly instead of placing one register in between. That caused all the problems with constant low signal.

0 Kudos